6 weeks post knee operation

Posted , 10 users are following.

Its now 6 weeks post op, and 40 degrees knee flexion my physiotherapist said I am progressing slowly, but my knee is still really stiff and heavy and unable to bend properly ... Is this recovery normal?? I feel so down and depressed I know it wasn't going to be an easy road to recovery but some of the things I have been reading on here seems like I'm the only one unable to bend my knee at the stage I am at?? My thigh muscles are so weak ive been doing the home exercises and using my foam roller I seem to be getting know wer as any one at all had similar problems NY pt said I have lots of scar tissue so ive been massaging my knee I just feel like am in a pickle I go back and see my surgeon next week at Sheffield hope he can give me some answers 😊

2 likes, 73 replies

73 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I feel for you - it's so frustrating! I did a lot of physio prior to my op but I still find post op exercises difficult. It's 3weeks since my op - my leg is very swollen and heavy but I'm gradually becoming more mobile.

Don't give up on your exercises and walk as much as you are able with or without a crutch.

Focus on what you can do rather than what you can't.

• Posted

Thanks Elizabeth its so draining when I left the hospital the nurse told me to keep my leg straight and rest for 2 weeks because I listened to her information my knee as seized up! Because everyone else as told me that I should of been bearing weight on it soon as possible so I was informed wrongly about what I should of been doing I couldn't walk at all or weight bear for the first 2-3weeks I'm slowly getting more mobile I am a very un patient person anyway I just want to be able to bend my knee again x

• Posted

Hopefully your ROM will improve. I was at 137 at 6 weeks and wanted more. But I have to wait until the swelling subsides.  My doctor told me, before the operation, that because my ROM was high before the TKR that it would also be on the high side after the TKR. 

• Posted

Hi Dan lucky you my ROM is know were near and I was going swimming before my op 2-3 times a week my muscles are very week in my thigh ive been clenching and releasing them to try gain strength I feel so low and down I just want to walk properly again x
  • Posted

Hi - I feel for you.

Slow progress is better than no progress !! At the very least your knee is healing from the surgery and if you keep up with the exercises the bend will come. My physio said yesterday that the bend is dependant on the muscle strength so keep up with building the muscle and the bend will come.

I would also caution taking too much notice of people who have a seemingly full bend at an early stage - they are truly rare beings according to my PT.

Keep up with the massage. Use antiflam cream regularly. Ice regularly and exercise at least 3 times a day.

BUT most of all be kind to yourself and look after your general health by eating well and drinking water.

All the best and good luck with the consult.

• Posted

V good advice. I am replying as one of those rare creatures (got full bend back after 2 wks). But I remember the kinds of problems natalie started descibing at the top of the thread... and they came from simply having had my leg in plaster cast, after breaking it skiing. So, patience and exercise.

On exercise (I am 12 wks post knee Op) been doing a lot of it, but soft impact. I am not surprised that the area where the clean up of the knee was done gets pains from going down the stairs. But recently I got worried by starting to get random pains in the middle of the knee, either walking on a flat, or from simply changing position while standing still.

Enter the PT: he said it is misalignment of patella (which itself is fine). The muscle strength has gone so low that the patella moves more than it should and briefly pins down nerve tracts. Thirty degree flexions for that leg (pumping repeatedly) prescribed. And that will have to happen on stairs with a rail to hold onto. The leg is so weak (still) that I really have to concentrate while hopping into my pants - not to fall down when it is the turn to stand on that leg only.

• Posted

Hi - WOW I am so in awe of your bend. People keep saying to me I am doing soooo well ect but my bend at 9 weeks is 108 and still have 8 to go till straight. I am fit and healthy but that doesn't seem to make any difference. 

All the best.

• Posted

Thanks Jenni that means alot smile I am only 27 and feel 77 most days, I have been doing what I can exercise wise! But my knee is not budging well it seems that way... I get up in the morning take my medz, do my hot water bottle to wake my muscles up then I massage my knee with E45, 20mins then start doing my exercises I just want this heavy clamp feeling to go away then my knee will feel more easy to move scar tissue is really bad am presuming thats what it is I will keep u updated after I've been to see my surgeon for my follow up take care

• Posted

Take heart it will pass with time.

Was your TKR the result of an accident ? If so that would affect the healing time. My Daughter in law at 35 fell off her horse and had to have TKR plus a few screws and plated in the bones around her knee. It was a 12 month recovery BUT she is now better than before as all the therapy has made her way fitter . She is now back in the saddle and loving life.

• Posted

Hi Jenni,

I think you have a similar condition to my knee. Im about 12 weeks post op aswell and was told I had s malignment of the patellar.

I was able to bend my knee at full flexion around 4 weeks but im still very unconfident when going stairs. Going upstairs is a bit more easier anf I don't need to hold onto rails to go up my three stairs at home.

I used to get the nerve pain thing at night aswell but after about 8 weeks it stopped. Istill feel sore from tissue damage especially when sitting on the table with legs hanging down then bringing them up.

Luckiky though there is no sharp pains at night which I used to feel under my patellar.

I got a good deal with my local swimming pool centre which I have been walking laps then using the spa afterwards. I think this helped at the earlier stages. Have also been eating fresh blended tumeric, ginger and apple blended in the juicer each morning to help alkalise my body more.

Im not sure if I'll ever be able to run again although I can sort of jog but it looks more like a toddler trying to manoeuvre. Im just a bit reluctant still to put my entire balance into my knees. Does anyone else feel that uncertainty from day to day. Some days it can play on your mind?

• Posted

Hi,

RE "a similar condition to my knee. Im about 12 weeks post op aswell and was told I had s malignment of the patellar.

I was able to bend my knee at full flexion around 4 weeks but im still very unconfident when going stairs. Going upstairs is a bit more easier"

That sounds exactly like me... full movement came back a bit faster (now 10 wks post Op) and going down the stairs was the hardest (still v aware when doing that).

But, to the point: I was also told that I had patellar malalignment, or the patella tracking badly (moving too loosely because of weakened muscle support).

Not so.  It turned out that the tear of the meniscus was the target of the OP and , in addition, the cartelege between the patella and the rest of the knee was worn; nothing could be done about it (surgically).

But my physio said it was not muscle weakness (I had been inclined to along with that explanation, just looking at the two legs, side by side) and I should try a knee brace for 4 weeks, and then we would get back to restoring the muscle strength.

- he was dead against a brace before the Op, saying that it would just contribute to the decay!

It seems to be working... I still hope that the muscles in the end will do the job of the brace as well. It is antibacterial (bamboo fibre for the parts against the skin) but still , at this early stage , feels a bit rough.

Bottom line: patellar malalignment is just a too wide and loose explanation, insist that the reasons for it will be defined and checked (the MRI report, that was guiding the Op as well, in the end held the explanation, though it was just the "small print" on it).

• Posted

I truly understand im 2 weeks post op and it feels heavy and stiff hang in there it could be the scar tissue massage your knee it will help best of luck
    • Posted

Thanks Angie its a horrible feeling like there's a metal clamp around my knee is yours the same feeling u say? My muscles are so week hope you recover from this soon x

• Posted

Hi - this is an awful thing as seems so relentless BUT I woke one day and it was gone - litterally. It is all about the muscle in the thigh and if you keep working it, massaging it and icing it it will go. Mine went at around 5 weeks and was replaced my an intensely aching thigh muscle but that also has now gone thank goodness.

All the best.

• Posted

i hope i can wake up and it goes! ive had a trochleoplasty of the knee basically had a groove shaped for my knee to sit stable instead of it popping out of place but i do think the symptoms are like a TKR I has a lateral Release also in my thigh recovery is slow will keep you updated Take care 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.