Throbbing pulse like feeling in spine when lying on back

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi. I have a herniated disk at L5. Does anyone that also has a slipped disk or spine problems get a throbbing (pulse like) feeling around their spine when lying down? Has anyone any idea what causes this please?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

You're the first person, apart from myself, that I've heard of saying this.

For years I've been trying to explain to various Dr's about the pulse feeling in my back. Sometimes it's very strong and painful for the first few minutes when I lie down, others just like a pulse in my arm would feel.

I had L5-S1 fused years ago, but still have a lot of pain, don't notice the pulse thing standing up, just pain, but as soon as I lie down, ouch!

• Posted

It seems that so many people on here have had surgery and still have pain - I assume that once a disk is slipped there is no treatment out there that is going to eliminate the pain?!
    • Posted

I think sometimes surgery helps, sometimes it doesn't. It was many years ago that I had mine, and things have changed a lot.

But it's a risk. If I could go back, I wouldn't have had it done, I would have concentrated more on trying to keep active, and physio first.

• Posted

Gabriella44865,

I also had the fusion and I had that before the surgery had to lay on side it can be caused by the disc pressing on a nerve, be careful not to do more damage

Beat of luck as I have been in pain over 20 years and still no relief

Just more pain

Cynthia

• Posted

Gabriella,

I had a unfortunate accident in physical therapy, a girl was eating an apple while I was in the pool and put me on the jet and threw it on, well it erupted my disc and couldn't walk or hold my urine lost feeling had emergency surgery than it was all down hill after that, some ppl get relief some get more pain, and I don't know why I was dealt this hand but I will be damned if I let pain ruin the rest of my life to pain

Almost thought of ending it after I had a procedure almost 2 weeks ago and my face is numb and good leg is out and I'm not getting no answers on getting this stimulator out,. I will not let pain get me it anymore of my life. Just take care of your issues and be careful of your choices that you make

Take care

Best of luck

Cynthia

Nomore tears

• Posted

I've been trying to find medical literature about this phenomenon for the past couple days, but there's NOTHING, even though I'm finding tons of forum entries and blog posts about patients who've experienced this...

I was diagnosed at 4 years old with early childhood onset ankylosing spondylitis, which is a rare and more severe manifestation of typical ankylosing spondylitis, an auto-inflammatory/autoimmune disease. This disease causes my immune system to constantly attack my joints, especially my sacral joints and my entire spine, causing lessons of damage. This will usually progress to these joints becoming fused, and thus more prone to osteoporosis, disc subluxation, and fracture.

I had never felt this agonizing pounding of my heart up my spine from my sacral joints until two days ago when I got up from my sleeping position too fast (I was lying flat on my back). I'm confident it is related to my unfortunately falling down the stairs about two weeks ago. My foot slipped out from under me and I fell, landing unevenly on my right buttock, and sliding down several stairs before my left arm and both feet reflexively reached out to slow and eventually stop me. I knew I hurt my spine immediately, because I distinctly felt the force of my falling through it.

All of your posts lead to believe that a "slipped disc" may be the most likely cause of this painful phenomenon. I will continue scouring the databases for validating medical literature.

Thank you all very much for sharing your experiences.

• Posted

I spent 4 hours in casualty last night with exactly the phenomenon you are describing.  It started with my heart doing a soft somersault then a warm feeling moving down my body coming to rest in my sacral area. I could then feel as though my heart had slipped down into my sacrum and it was pulsing extremely painfully 8/10. occasionally it surged and I could feel it higher up in my chest shoulders and neck.  I had a CT scan to rule out a dissecting aortic aneurysm but all they found was a herniated disc in my spine and a cyst on my liver.  It is so reassuring to hear that somebody else has experienced this.  I was beginning to think they thought I was making it up.  Have you heard of anyone else.  I am currently receiving chemotherapy for breast cancer and had recently had my PICC line flushed. I would be interested to communicate with you.

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

hi Lynne....I hope you see this. I have had my first chemo treatment for breast cancer, and I am also receiving injections for bone marrow stimulation. I am experiencing EXACTLY what you described!!

Did it just go away? What came of your pain?? I am struggling to breathe with it right now....really hoping it is a one time thing!

Please let me know if you see this!

• Posted

Hi Laura, I too have experienced this heart beating pain in my sacral area I was checked out thoroughly in casualty and a CT scan revealed disc herniation in my spine but the doctor had never come across this phenomenon before. I would like to give him feedback of others stories if you would kindly communicate with me .

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi Lynn. Sorry to hear about your recent trip to hospital although I am glad they ruled out it being your heart. I have the throbbing sensation all time which I can feel when lying on my back but I've just got used to it now. It's probably just a blood vessel near a nerve around the area of my herniated disk so I try not to with about it. I hope your chemo goes well.

• Posted

I've dealt with back injuries since 1992. I suffered for years because of lack of correct care. Spent 15 years on meds & epidurals. Finally founf one doctor who knew the problem other that just an "herniated disc". The disc had in fact shattered and pieced were pressing on nerve.He told me he'd operate from the back,pray with me,make a ,2 in. incision and take the bone off nerve. That's what he did and the relief was instant. So incredibly successful. I've had to have that surgery once more for another piece of bone but I was walking not falling down. From time to time when zi don't drink enough water to help balance the spinal fluid I will have that pulsation in my lower back that intensifies with each pulse until it stops. If you're over weight as I am.you can also produce to much spinal fluid which has the same pulsating pain. To little fluid causes the nerves to be inflamed. To much irritates with pressure. Hang in there. I finally have the correct combination of pain meds that I'm not wacked out of my mind and I have control over my like.

• Posted

I have experienced this tonight like my heart is in my lower back I have grade two Isthmic Spondylolisthesis my consultant has told me I was born with pars defect and have tiny fractures in L5 s1 and a severe narrowing of the nerve running down my right leg. My buttock area is numb and throbs like a dull ache and my leg is weaker and my foot goes tingly and hot on top when things are bad. I also have a bulging disc. I to don’t know what causes the heart beat but it feels like it makes my back move up and down, i can’t decide whether to have surgery as the doc didn’t mince his words and basically said you need nuts and bolts ! I see him the 4th June again after my last app 6 months ago he told me to see how I feel I haven’t improved at all even with all measures taken to improve things now I have the pulse in my back aswell !! Not coping ! If you find out what it is let me know take care 
  • Posted

Did u ever find out what cause this I have the same issue? 
    • Posted

I don't know for sure what caused mine but it is probably something pressing on the nerve. I don't worry about it anymore and just see it as another symptom of pain that I have to learn to live with. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.