Swollen wrist after 5 weeks

Posted , 3 users are following.

I fell over the 21st sept... nearly 5 weeks ago. I went to a n e and had X-ray, nothing showed up. So I attended fracture clinic the following week, wrist wasn't any better after being in a half cast. So that doctor put me in another full split cast for two weeks, wich I had to take off and ice. After hose two weeks another visit to fracture clinic and wrist is still swollen and difficult to move, tends to be more my pinky side of the wrist. I had an mri a week today, but not heard anything and they so no news is good news. But surely after so long it shouldn't still be swollen ? What could it be ?

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I agree, that is odd. i wonder if they missed something, or I wonder if the break caused an underlying condition to emerge. hoaky idea but . . .?  How old are you? is the break healed but it is still swollen? Nerve damage maybe? Let us know when you find out! 
    • Posted

I'm hoping th MRI scan Will tell us more, I am only 26. So to still have swelling there's isn't normal ? I've been in a split cast so wrist is immobilised, but when taking it out to ice it you can see it's still all swollen, tends to be more the underside of the wrist but more to the ulnar side. I'm still getting pain with it, it's like a constant dull ache.

• Posted

Hi Jtaff;  things may have changed over the years, but I was always told to only "ice for 3 days"?????   If this were me, I would ask for a referral to a Private Sports' Orthopaedic Surgeon  (there are Many small bones in this area of our wrists, and it may not be showing up easily to the untrained eye)???                 Bron

• Posted

Hey Jeff,

The nerve could have been damaged and nerve pain can last pu to a year.  it is normal and disapates over time, or we just get used to it Im not sure.  Keep us all posted on how you keep doing ok?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.