"Laid back Bladder?"

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi there, I was just telling a friend on another site about my urination problem. It seems to be very slow to get moving. Like today for example. It got to 3pm before I even managed a void of 75ml! This has been going on for quite a while now. The only thing that seems to trigger decent voids is if I lay on the sofa for an hour or so. My friend said it sounds like Laid back Bladder to her. And whilst it certainly describes my bladder, I am wondering if anyone has heard of it before or if she just made that "Diagnosis" up. All I do know is that this problem with my bladder kicked in 6 months ago following my second hip replacement. Thanks for listening.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I'm not a medically qualified person but two thoughts sprang to mind reading your post.

When you had your hip replacement do you know whether you were given Nitrous Oxide as the anaesthetic? Nitrous oxide is a super-oxidiser when it comes to Vitamin B12 and converts it to a form that the body cannot use.

There is another forum on Patient called Neurogenic Bladder, but I don't know whether this is the same as what you call "laid back bladder" but one of the sections covering causes goes

Peripheral nervous system (PNS)

Diabetes.

AIDS.

Alcohol.

Vitamin B12 deficiency neuropathies.

Herniated disc.

Damage due to pelvic surgery.

It might pay for your doctor to check both your serum B12 and serum Folate levels.

I hope you find some answers and wish you well

• Posted

Hi Clive, Thanks for your message. Re the hip replacement, no I wasn't given nitrous oxide. I had a spinal. No sedation.

I will have a look on the neurologenic bladder forum. Had a quick look on Google and it seems "Neurogenic" covers a few different ailments. Interesting that Pelvic Surgery is listed in one of the sections covering causes.

I will remember about the serum B 12 and the Serum Folate too.

Thanks again.

• Posted

Since my first post I googled "Laid Back" bladder and it came up with Underactive Bladder! And reading through the symptoms it describes my situation perfectly. Only thing it doesn't mention is about laying down to bring on urination.

Anyone else have Underactive Bladder? It got to 7pm yesterday and I only voided 300ml all day - no chance to lay down to bring on urination so my void was only minimal. I had drank 1250ml all day. Usually drink about 1500ml but daren't drink "Too Much" incase I damaged my bladder, or it triggered OAB. Barely any urge to wee all day but any urge is felt in my urethra, like a sort of tickling sensation. Wondering what can be done to bring my urination and urge sensations back to normal. At least I managed to void 650ml in the early hours again after laying down and relaxing in bed. I have to see Urologist a week on Monday. I hope he's got some answers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.