Bruised Kidney?!?!?!

Posted , 4 users are following.

My 11-yr old son was complaining of lower back pain on his right side during football season.  After a week of complaining, I took him to the doctor.  A urine sample showed that there was blood in the urine and we were sent to the hospital for a kidney ultrasound.  The ultrasound came back negative and so we were told that it is probably a bruised kidney from a hit he received in football.

We were told to bring him back in three weeks for another urine sample.  After 3 weeks, there was still blood in the urine.

We were told to have him drink as much water as possible and come back in one week for another urine sample.  Guess what?!?!?!  There was STILL blood in his urine.

We then were referred to a Urologist because the family doctor said he thinks that the kidney would be healed by now.  The Urologist said he thinks it's simply a bruised kidney and to wait another 6 weeks until another urine sample is given.  

My son is still complaining of his back hurting, that it burns when he first starts to urinate, and I have been noticing that he is ALWAYS thirsty.   

Has anyone had anything similar? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Has the urologist done a CAT Scan or MRI? Even an ultrasound would be better then nothing. By just doing a urine test it's not going to pick up everything. Your better off going to a hospital, don't be afraid to be your sons advocate.

• Posted

Nope..........only the ultrasound and they said since that showed nothing that we should just wait it out. 

The family doctor said a bruised kidney should heal in two weeks or so where the urologist said to wait until Dec. 15th.  (Dec. 15th will officially be 12 weeks of waiting.)

My son says that on a scale of 1-10 with the pain, it's at a 6.  I don't know what to do. 

Thanks for your advice!!!  smile

• Posted

Hi,

I don't mean to scare you and I don't know why your doctor would not of tested for this but extreme thirst is one of the signs of diabeties.  My brother has this and I was with him in our parents house and he said he was in pain I watched him for a bit down drink after drink after drink and I knew it wasn't right.  Take your son back to the doctor and ask him to do a blood test for diabeties at least then this can be ruled out.  You don't mention if he has been tested for a UTI the burning when he urinates may suggest this, however some infections don't show up on the dip stick test sometimes they need to be cultured to show the infection so may be worth asking for his urine to be sent off and cultured.  Good Luck

• Posted

Thanks Helen.  You're not scaring me at all because I have wondered this same thing. 

The doctor did mention that there was no sign of an infection in the urine sample; however, the urine sample and the ultrasound are the only things that were tested right now.  No blood work, no CT scan, no MRI, etc.  Ugh.....

Thanks again for the advice.  It is greatly appreciated!!

• Posted

Yes I agree, my daughter has type 1 diabetes. She was very thirsty in the beginning and if she's running high she gets really thirsty. They should've showed something in the urine though, unless they weren't looking for it. Did they do blood test? Sounds like you need to take him to a different hospital

• Posted

Hi,

My brother was failed by the system, he was really bad they lost his blood work by this time he was really unwell but didn't know why.  He took himself to A & E and was put in intensive care he was on the verge of a diabetic coma bless him.  He is all good now and has overcome his fear of needles lol only cos he had to.  Agree about the sugar in the urine but like you I don't think they were looking at that.

• Posted

Poor kid I bet he hurts to even move.Threfore; I would remove him from football and any other strenuous activities until his kidney has had time to heal, Also I would to get him to drink lots of cranberry juice, water, and if he will, drink 1/2 cup pickle juice before bed for 1 week. My father created this combination of fluids and would drink them for 1 week when he felt a kidney infection starting because for many years the many doctors that he went to see did nothing to find the root cause of the infections they only precribed antibiotics to clear it up for awhile.

I've heard that your body will tell you what it needs to heal and I guess that was true in my dads case anyway.

• Posted

Thank you very much.  He just gave another urine sample this past Friday.  Fingers crossed that the urine is clear of any blood. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.