Kidney failure stage 4

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've had kidney failure for 7yrs but recently dropped my GFR to 14 . I'm itching around my back area were my kidney is. I only have 1 due to cancer. Does anyone know if the itching on my back area as anything to do with kidney failure. Also have a great deal of pain. Help

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gayle I am in a similar situation albeit I didn't lose my other kidney due to cancer but surgical mistake. My function fluctuates between 13 and 17percent. I itch all over at times and it drives me crazy. I also have back pain around the kidney. I have reflux so UTIs are persistent. At moment I am not on dialysis and would like to stay that way. Doctor tells me itch is caused by toxins in my system which is caused by low function. I use cetrabam for itch. Sometimes it helps mostly itching gets worse when I am in bed and I scratch without realising.  

• Posted

Hi Gayle, skin creme helps a lot with the itching.  Also, you may experience itching in other parts of your body, eg. your legs.  The itching occurs because of high levels of phosphate in your system, as your kidneys aren't able to efficiently get rid of it.  I suggest you reduce your intake of foods high in phosphorous (milk / dairy products, most store-bought breakfast cereals, and especially processed foods).  You can't eliminate phosphates completely from your diet (nor should you, probably) but you should certainly limit them.  Finally, chances are your calcium is low - you can take a few Tums a day for that.

I empathise with your symptoms.  I hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi,

You need to get your phospahte levels checked, the itching is due to the levels being too high.  It is easily treated with phosphate binders which are tablets you take three times a day before you eat a meal.  You will find that once they take effect which is a couple of days you will have releif.  I mainly itched on my back and front when mine was high everywhere else was ok but you can itch anywhere.  I would get the levels checked asap as it is dangerous to have too high levels and not have it treated.  It is tested with a simple blood test and you should get the results if you have it done by your renal unit the same day.  Keep us posted.

• Posted

Itching can meaning you are either drinking or eating alot of dairy. Too much phophorus is in your system can cause itching all over your body. When I was drinking milk, I felt I had hives, but was told, do you take a binder for phophorus. My binder is called Renvela, take two if I eat cheese or drink milk. It stopped the itching. I tried the over the counter medication, it didn't stop the itching. So you sometimes have to look at the packages to make sure phophorus is not in the products you are eating.

I hope this information helps you

• Posted

My father was a kidney paient but he passed away 2 months ago,he also had icthing 

on his body mostly on his back,this is probably due to high levels of potassium,the itching went away after he started dyalisis, since your one kidney is working dyalisis is not an option.doctors had give some oilment but i was a little releaving but not completely effective.take care of your kidney, my father passed away due to cronic ckd, he had gone through cancer stage 4 twice,but he used to say ckd was much more painfull because it takes your life slowly,din mean to scare you friend but take care.

• Posted

sorry not potassium level but phosphorus

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.