Sciatica

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have sciatic nerve pain due to a cyst on the bottom of my spine pressing on nerves.  Am on 900 mg of Gabapentin at the moment and have been for three weeks.  They are doing no good at all as yet. Also been told to do exercises to 'strengthen' my back.  Have been doing these forw 4 months, without any improvement whatsoever.  Am getting very depressed.  Can anyone let me know if there are any exercises which DO help sciatic nerve pain. Also what experience any of you have had re Gabapentin.  The doctor is in the process of upping the dosage.  Any feedback would be wonderful.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Soxy

I experienced sciatic pain for a number of years, thought to be caused by a disc problem. My Osteopath diagnosed a very stiff Psoas muscle pulling on the spine and treated me with deep tissue massage and gave me a cycling exercise to keep it at bay. I've had cysts on my spine but they disappeared without any treatment. I was taking Gabapentin for a few years, the dose rising to 2700 per day! It didn't help with the pain so gradually weaned myself off over about 8months. It was' t easy as had nasty withdrawal symptoms but persevered and eventually got there 6 months ago but had to go back up on dosage several times towards the end as symptoms became worse.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.  I don't see an osteopath and probably won't go down that route.  If Gabapentin didn't help with the pain at all, even on such a high dose, why were you taking it for a few years? 

• Posted

Hi Soxy

I have tried both Neurotin-gabapentin and Lyrica-pregabalin.

Personally. I prefer Lyrica.

Both take time to build up in the blood stream...perhaps acetaminophen 500 mg would help in the meantime.

My sciatic becomes so severe that I find rest and ice most helpful.

kind regards

judith

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.  I will try to be patient and let the Gabapentin build up in the bloodstream. It's a long old business though, not working as yet. I find heat better than ice and lying down is better than sitting in a chair. No way to live a life though is it.

• Posted

Hi Soxy,

If heat makes your sciatic feel better...go for heat. The same with laying down.

Maybe you can enjoy a book, or television, radio...rather than just staring at the ceiling

hugs

judith

• Posted

Hi Judith

Has anyone ever suggested doing exercises for this condition Judith.  I was told by the doctor at the Pain Clinic to do exercise therapy which I have been doing for over four months now, with no discernible improvement. Just wondered if you were ever told to do any.

• Posted

Hey Soxy,

No, I have never been given exercises...but I am very interested in what you learn.

• Posted

The exercises I have been given are to strengthen the back, but they have not helped the sciatica.  I will let you know if anything helps when I have done a bit more research and possibly change what I do. Thanks for your reply Judith.
  • Posted

Hi Soxy, I don't know if this will help as your sciatica is caused by a cyst whereas mine is caused by a disc bulge but I guess it's worth a try. I was diagnosed this year with a L5/S1 disc herniation which I've suffered with twice now, the last time being only 3 weeks ago where I was stuck in bed for a whole week, as every time I stood up I had severe pain right the way down to my foot, numbness, tingling etc. Anyway after suffering for over a year in constant pain the 1st time when I finally found out what was wrong with me I went straight on YouTube to find some stretches that might help, and came across a man holding a model of a spine showing exactly how the stretches that he was showing opened up the spine and took pressure off the bulge that was pressing on the nerves, which then took pressure off the nerves. He explained that if the pain was down your right side then you should lean over to your left side and vice versa if the pain was on your left lean over to your right. The stretch that has helped me both times now within a week of doing it is to stand with your legs slightly apart and bend gently over to your left or right? as if your head is stretching down to your foot and this gives your spine a nice stretch, I am now pain free again after just a week of doing this and just have a numbness and tingling in my leg and foot which I'm hoping will go soon. Of course everyone is different and do not do this if it causes pain, I don't know if I've explained it very well lol maybe check it out on YouTube? I really hope this helps 😊

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Debbie.  I do stretching exercises, but on both sides. They haven't made the slightest bit of difference. I'll give your suggestion a go and just concentrate on stretching the one side.  Can't do any harm.  It's a horrible condition, wouldn't wish it on anybody. Thanks again.

• Posted

Hi Soxy,

?I've been on and off gabapentin for over 2 years now for sciatic pain - currently I'm on 12 tablets a day (3600mg), and this does nothing to touch my pain. In fact I am having to reduce my dose as I'm fed up with getting night terrors.

?Each person is individual and you might find tht they need to explore other combinations to help find what will reduce the pain for you.

• Posted

Hi Ladyfish

Perhaps you will discuss Lyrica-pregabalin with your physician...it is similar.

kind regards

judith

• Posted

Thanks for your reply lady fish.  I am on 1800 m per day but as yet not a lot of benefit.  No side effects as yet, but I won't keep taking them if they are doing no good. Will make a note of the other drug mentioned,Lyrica and speak to my doctor should the Gabapentin not work. Night terrors sound awful!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.