Bartholin cyst from hell

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, just wanted to share my story and was looking for advice on what to do next, my cysts started forming when I was 18 years old, I'm now 24. I've had about 7 cysts/abscesses drained, word catheter used the first two times. It seemed like with the word catheter the cyst didn't come back for about two years, I only felt sharp pain down there every now and then. My third cyst came back at about age 21, went to the gyno and she drained it for me. No problems for about 9 months when I started to notice small,painless cysts forming every time I used the bathroom and didn't wipe right or even when I became really irritated about something (hey says stress has something to do with these forming). On one occasion I used silicea tablets I read someone mention on this site and my cyst pop, that had been the only time I've been successful at popping a cyst. Summer of 2016 has been by far the worst summer of my life, I've had 4 abscesses formed and drained and I can't figure out why they keep coming back. I tried keeping my area nice and clean, showered after sex, even used baby wipes after every bowel movement to keep that whole area clean. I've also stopped my birth control because they started forming around the time I started taking them.

Now I'm laying in bed with abscess number 5. I just feel defeated at this point as I feel like I will be having a reoccurring cyst every month.

I've tried sitz bath with Epsom salts, silicea tablets and used phoebes method and none of these have worked for me.

Any advice on what do do next ?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hey there,

So it seem we've had similar experiences. I started getting the cysts at 16, about every 9 months to a year. And then about a year ago I started getting them much more frequently, one week to two months apart. I'm 23 now.

Here's how I got mine to burst at home: sitz baths, and mostly, I kept a damp heating pad on the area pretty much constantly. I also used baby powder or diaper cream everywhere down there expect where the cyst was because it made everything sore and irritated.

Long term though, I went and found a new gynecologist. She was wonderful, and informed me that it should never be drained more than once because if it comes back once after draining it will only continue to and continued draining will build up scar tissue. She performed an operation called bartholins cyst excision, and it worked wonders! I was only in pain pain for a few days, and I am confident I will not have to deal with this problem ever again. I would absolutely recommend you look into the procedure

• Posted

hi, so sorry for you. 

I had many cysts too. Draining alone doesnt help cause they keepo recurring. Plus the area near bartholin is sensitive, wiping each time with wipes makes it even worse. so, i deciderd to go for Marsupialization and it worked. Marsupialization is a painless process and you can walk even the same day. after two weeks you will be okay but no sex till after a month. since marsupialization, mine has never recurred again. even when i have rough sex or shave the area it has never reocured. before the process, i could get cyusts after shaving, after sex and after periods. after the marsupialization am leaving a cyst-free life. i reccommend that for ypou. siztrs baths took too long to work and the pain was unbearable. but for pain you can take (chloxazone diclofenac with potassium tablets), its a strong type of diclofenac and it relieves all the pain, and also helps the swelling to burst. go for marsupialization :-)

• Posted

Hi jazmine,sorry dia but u if Ts for operating try telling yo gyno to cut it it a dice form it worked for me cos Ts now 7years ,the dice form is only stitched in da middle to leave da space for da cyst to drain well.

• Posted

Hi jazmine,sorry dia but u if Ts for operating try telling yo gyno to cut it it a dice form it worked for me cos Ts now 7years ,the dice form is only stitched in da middle to leave da space for da cyst to drain well.

• Posted

Hey jazmine94776,

With all the reoccurring cyst and drainage troubles are you not able to have the cyst removed? It may be your physician's preference not to perform surgery. I was diagnosed with a bartholian cyst by my dr when I was 24. I'd been with since I was 16. So I trusted him, and believed it wasn't problematic. The cyst didn't give me any discomfort during sex or even hurt, it was just a large spot on 1 side of my vagina. I would take an ibuprofen and relax. Lol it wasn't until I was 30 I decided to go to a new dr and he told me that it could rupture. And it would need to be removed. I'm just about 6 weeks out of surgery and I feel great. I didn't experience any pain during sex and no issues with dryness. There is some discomfort after sex, nothing a warm bath can't fix. I surely hope you feel better soon and I hope you don't have another hated summer!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.