Allopurinol causing insomnia

Posted , 2 users are following.

Has anyone experienced insomnia while starting Allopurinol?  I was taking 300mg some weeks ago and could not sleep for a few nights after a week of taking the drug.  I could not for the life of me figure out what was going on until I started thinking about what new medications I have been taking.  I stopped Allopurinol and voila, I was able to sleep again.

I have been on the following medications/supplements when I started on Allopurinol:

Valsartan

81mg Aspirin

Vitamin D3

My doctor says that I need to start Allo again as I need it, but insomnia is such hell, especially after the 2nd day and beyond.  Has anyone else experienced insomnia with Allopurinol?  I need to know what you did to get over it. 

Thank you!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

That is really weird! When I started on Allopurinol i had the best night's sleep in decades. It put me out like a light for 9 hours - even the getting up to pee - was up pee and pass out. That passed after a month or so. Now my reaction to the tiredness it induced was to take it at night. The effect has slowly disappeared btw.

Why don't you take it first thing in the morning?

The other effect I had with Allopurinol was a burning feeling in my stomach after a couple of months. I had a few days off and then allowed the tablet to dissolve in my mouth before swallowing - since when I've had no problem.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply.  I guess every person has different reactions to drugs.  I have been reading about it and apparently, it does cause insomnia to a very few people, I guess I am one of them smile

I guess I was just wondering if anybody else out there is like me, and what they may have done to overcome insomnia.

• Posted

Have you tried taking it first thing a.m?

I tell you something - when I first took it - it made me sleepy, very thirsty and at one point upset my stomach. Now my body has adapted somehow and all three have gone (but I now dissolve the tablet in my mouth before swallowing).

Insomnia is a major setback. If taking it in the morning fails there is febuxostat. This drug is however relatively new and less well understood than Allopurinol. Allopurinol is dirt cheap, febuxostat is still in patent and expensive.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.