Total Hysterectomy with removal of tubes and ovaries.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. I'm just wondering if anyone else is in my situation. I'm 36 years old and after numerous visits to the see the consultant for abdominal pain and lack of periods they've decided it's best for me to have a total hysterectomy including my tubes and ovaries. My ultrasound showed fibroids and ovarian cysts and my bloods are showing I may be in the menopause. My mum died of ovarian cancer at aged 45 so I know it's probably for the best I have this done, but I have no children yet and I'm feeling a little numb to say the least. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you xx.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Sharon.

Please accept my condolences on the loss of your mother!  I'm so sorry you're going through this. I'm sure it is a blow.  In view of the circumstances, you're right.  It probably is for the best to have the surgery.  At least right now, you won't be doing it because you have developed cancer and it's an emergency situation--and you won't have to go through everything that results from having cancer.

I am much older than you, and had the same surgery in July of this year.  It went well, and I am gradually recovering.  At your age, I think you'll recover much faster.

Best of luck to you, and let me know how you do! xx 

• Posted

Hi sharon

Ive just had a full abdo hysterectomy with removal of my remaining ovary at the age of 44.

I was offered this when i was 34 yrs old when i had to have an.ovary removed due to constant fibroids,cysts and polyps.. I felt too young at the time (i did have one son but wanted more) but if i could have my time back again i wish i had it done then.

For the last ten years i have suffered with recurring cysts etc and pain plus being unable to have any more children.

Its such a big thing for a woman to make a decision about and i read before the op of how ladies felt less womanly after it etc.. But i have to say 11 weeks on i feel i have made the right decision..

Im still not 100% but the thought of no more painful periods, and constant problems is such a relief and apart from the hot flushes which im managing to control better now i feel just the same

I didnt want hrt as my mum died of breast cancer at 38, so im managing my menapause with a lady magnet (from boots, highly recommend) and sage tablets..

It must be an even harder decision for you if you wanted children and i hope you make the right decision for you.

All the ladies on here are very supportive and will offer you invaluable advice....

Take care...

• Posted

I'm really sorry your going through this but I wouldn't rush into a hysterecromy if you would like to have children. Maybe get a second opinon from another consultant and explore other options. Can't the cysts be removed instead. Don't be railroaded into any surgery you don't want yet. My doctor told me blood tests for menopause can be very inaccurate, you could have one the next day and it can give a different reading. Best of luck to you xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.