From the heart

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi I am a 33 year old female, who a year ago was sent to a cardiologist for a pericardial effusion. They determined it was idiopathic. Some time had gone by, I was evaluated for over a year, with countless ecg and multiple echo's later. During which I developed palpitations. I wore a heart holster for 48hr. They did see I was having superventricular episodes, but said they were within normal limits. Since all my test came back within normal limits I was released, even though I stated I was having intermittent chest pain, my palpitations changed and sometimes I get dizzy and short of breath with some palpitations. So I went to get a second opinion, I seen this doctor twice, he ran two ecg, and redid the heart holster test, when I went back to get my results they said everything was okay. Then I got a call from there office saying they read the wrong heart holster test, they read the one from the prior doctor, to come in to redo a egg, they had the hospital fax over the correct heart holster test, needless to say, they said something came up on the egg and the heart holster and my appointment is in two days. I know people are human and make mistakes, but should I go to someone else? I mean if you don't have time to read the test results and know your reading the wrong ones, how can I trust I'm getting the best care. This is after all my heart your talking about. What should I do??

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Another thing that upsets me. Because of the whole feeling brushed off and getting read the wrong results, I ended up pulling my medical record for my heart. Now I am no doctor but on my echo's it say I have a mitral valve regurgitation and a tricupit value regurgitation. When I asked about these they said they were within normal limits. Then on my last two ecg they said they were markedly abnormal with a possible MI. This last ecg they did when they called me back said atrial flutter? I just want answers and not to feel brushed off. Should I worry? What questions should I ask when I go back in two days to see this doctor? I just want to be okay, I also hope this does not disqualify me from my hip surgery. I feel so lost?

• Posted

Sounds like they opened the results and didn't realise till after that they had read your previous test result, but the fact that they have since been sent your new test and want you in to double check doesn't seem to be a problem, go in and tell them your fears of not being diagnosed accurately, this will keep them on the ball, also after a year of tests I would imagine that if there was a major problem it would have shown up by now, every one at some point will have palps but so long as its as they say within the excepted parameters its fine, could even be anxiety.

Can I ask why you moved consultants

• Posted

I did not connect well, I never got any questions answered and I only had five minutes with the doctor at each visit, he also only ever did ecg and echo's, when I pulled all my ecg they were all abnormal, I was not told this, they still showed on my last echo I had in there office that I still had my effusion and it said mitral valve riguritation and tricupit valve riguritation, he never sat down with me to say this or explain this, even if it was within normal range. I later found that out through this second opinion. I still wasn't feeling well, I been feeling like my heart is racing and I have been having chest pains. So I thought I get a second opinion. When this doctor found out that they read the wrong result for a heart holster test they called back saying they screwed up and repeated the ecg, it showed atrial flutter and they told me that they wanted me in as soon as possible because the heart holster showed an abnormality as well. I'm just caution now do to the screw up. I know people screw up. If it were you would you go back? I just scared that's all.

• Posted

OK questions you could ask.

Are my symptoms normal or normal for me.

Are there any risks if we do nothing

Should I be checked regularly

Is it OK to exercise (always a good one because they want say yes if there not sure as they don't want to be sued)

What can I do to alleviate symptoms

In the future am I at higher risk of heart disease

Is it OK to have sex (again another one to slip in to see if they have any worry's)

Have you had stress test, doplar if needed.

If you haven't got children ask about that

That should be enough but also ask about the issues u have just brought up in your second post, these are all questions to put your mind at rest.

• Posted

It will all depend on what the cardiologist says at appointment, are you taking someone with u ?

Also because you are obviously worried about this, which I totally understand you could tell him you are going to record the appointment so you can listen to it and reinforce your recollection of what was said, are you UK

• Posted

I am going to try to find someone to take. Your right I just need to give them a chance and hear them out, I need to write all my questions down and try to get someone to go with me. No I am in the US.
    • Posted

I'm sure that once you have been and they have gone through all your questions you will feel so much better, its very scary when its your heart in question as its in our heads that its the thing that keeps us alive, I'm sure that you will find that all your symptoms are very common and nothing to stress about.

But always best to follow through till you are satisfied all your worries.

What day are u going,

• Posted

No problem, try your best to take someone with you as when we are nervous we don't seem able to absorb the context of what we are being told, also your phone is a great recording device.

I'm sure all will be as it should be.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.