Hand dermatitis

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi guys,

Im new to this forum and im glad I found it and joined the group.

I was diagnosed with contact dermatitis years ago. I have used so many steroid creams but it doesn't seem to work anymore.

Just wondering if you have any suggestions based from your experiences.

I am currently using a lotion called Dermoil 500 but it dont work either.

And at night it tends to be so itchy that I couldnt help myself but to scratch it until it gets worst.

I was told that I am sensitive to any skin products, the dishwashing liquids, hospital soaps and disinfectant. In short, I am stuck.

Please Im really quite desperate.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, do you take any antihistamines? I found that my itchy period at its worst was during the night making a big V line for about 3am to 4am, so I take my antihistamines x 2 which is off licence but on script at about 7pm. Then I take another different antihistamine in the morning. Give it a try.

• Posted

My boy has it too. You need to reconsider your cleaning habits.

use 1 part vinegar 2 parts water keep it in a spray bottle for cleaning your house. Spray let it sit for a few minutes and clean.

Try Castile soap for washing hands and body.

Try greenshield Organics laundry detergent. If you're allergic to that too, try mixing vinegar and baking soda. Do research on how to mix. Always run the washer once again with plain water after the wash to rid of excess detergent. I have spent two years constantly researching.

Dishwasher detergent liquid rinse has a lot of chemicals that cause allergies and other issues. Don't use it. You can also have it rinse with plain water twice. Run the machine twice to remove residual soap. I haven't done enough research on dishwasher detergent yet. 

Have you tried aveeno for eczema moisturizer? My boy is able to use it.

He had biopsy and that's how we know it wasn't internal. He's better now. I hope this helps you. 

• Posted

Hi, have you heard of Perilla? I'm taking perilla suppliment instead of antihistamine. It's been workining very well.

And I wash anything touching my skin like pillow case or pajyama only with water.

I never ever met someone has worse eczema than me.

But I'm completely no eczema now.

Don't eat chocolate or sugary stuff.

• Posted

Did they do patch testing ?  That would isolate the chemicals you are sensitive to.  It was only when I had patch testing, that I was able to stop the itching & I had a course of oral steroids.

• Posted

It is very unlikely that you are allergic against all products. It may be that after long term use of cortico-steroids your skin has become more sensitive in general.

A diagnosis of contact dermatitis alone won't help much. You have to find out what substance is causing the allergic reaction. The best would be to have patch testing performed by a dermatologist. 

After that you have to ban any cleaning products (or cosmetics) that contain the allergen from your house.  

In that sense you are not stuck. It takes some effort but (at least in the UK and Europe) on any detergent you will find either a phone number or web site that will enable you to access the ingredients sheet of the product.

It is very important to check the 'Valid until' date on the ingredients sheet. Manufacturers sometimes update their products and may change the ingredients at times. 

On personal products (shampoo, soap, etc) the complete list of ingredients is listed directly on the packaging. 

I would advise you to use cleaning products with as few ingredients a possible. If in doubt perfom a patch test yourself by applying a tiny amount on your forearm. Leave it for 48 hours. If your skin is reacting then you have to avoid that product and flag the ingredients as possible allergens. 

I know it sounds hopeless after year of agony. But after finding out what I was allergic against and avoiding those chemicals my skin improved in hardly longer than a week. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.