De Quervain's tenosynovitis

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I wondered if anyone has had a cortisone/anti-inflammatory injection into the tendon in the wrist area that causes De Quervain's tenosynovitis and if so, what was it like having it/afterwards/ and did it improve the condition?

?Hopefully you will have had some experience of this that it would be helpful to relate here.

Thank you very much.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I had a steroid jab in my r hand and found it helped but only for 7 months . Once it wore off the pain was back . The procedure didn't hurt at all strangely.

I was not told to rest my hand after the jab which was not the best thing as I went straight back to work and boy did it hurt the next few days.

Steroids aren't good for us but they are great for pain relief so .....

I'm in terrible pain atm n am on a waiting list for another jab which is in January .

My last jab was in 2013.

Gd luck and I wish you well!

Nikky

• Posted

Hi Nikky 8,

?Thank you so much for your message. I'm sorry you are still in pain. I am still having symptoms of De Quervain's but am not convinced a steroid injection would helpin the long term. I will have more hands on physio and hope it improves. Any other comments/suggestions would be very welcome.

Kind regards, Grimm.

• Posted

Does help with rest and anti imflamatory meds
    • Posted

Dear Heck 630,

Thank you for your reply.

?I have tried Naproxen (anti-inflamm) but it didn't help. I'm not convinced that a cortisone injection would help in the long term, so I will carry on with physio for the moment. I have rested my wrist as much as possible, but it cannot be rested altogether as unfortunately I am not left-handed. I hope you don't suffer symptoms of De Quervain's any longer. Kind regards, Grimm.

• Posted

Hello Grimm.

I had De Quavens tendonitis a few years ago.

If u have a consultant do your cortisone injection it isn't as painful.

They do it with a local anaesthetic so your wrist and some of your hand will go numb so have someone drive u there as your insurance if u drive will b null and void. It will ache when the anaesthetic wares off but u should notice a difference by the next day. I hope this has helped. It is worth giving it a go but if it doesn't work there is a surgical solution

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Lisa 21,

?Thank you so much for your reply.I hope you are rid of De Quervain's now? It can be very debilitating. I still have symptoms and will have more physio. I am not convinced that a cortisone injection would help in the long run.

Wish you all the best, Grimm.

• Posted

Hello there I had ,  this put into my arkile ...tendon. At the back on my leg this was the first docter did it wrong in Hayley street but it didn't do know good but what one has and doesn't do it could be ex for yourself try it ,good Luck ,

• Posted

Hi Linda,

Thank you so much for your reply, I'm sorry the steroid did not seem to help you. I am still reluctant to try it.

?Kind regards, Grimm.

• Posted

Hi Grimm,  I would try it because it worked for a freind of mine , it's doesn't hurt , so no worry there , nothing to lose and it could do you some good try it just the once ,let me know how you get on ,😀Good luck my freind ,

• Posted

I've had the injection just takes time. I hurt myself weight lifting and was able to do so of course restricted for a short period of time. Cortisone works just not immediately and I would still take anti inflammatory meds as needed. Helps I've not had issue so in some time.

• Posted

Hi - I also have De Quervains. I am off to see the doc on Ftiday to see if they will give me a steroid injection. I have had them for both shoulders adn they are now pain free. So I hope that if they will do the injection it will reduce the swelling on the tendon and stop the pain.
    • Posted

Hi LellyM,

​Thank you for your message.

​I still have De Quervains and still continue with physiotherapy in the hope that it will eventually solve the problem of my painful wrist. I have seen sme progress, but mnow enough, and so further down the line I may have to opt for a steroid injection too.

​If you have the injection, good luck,and I hope it brings relief and you let us know how it goes.

Thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.