What Are the Symptoms of Retinal Detachment?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Cataract surgery October 2015. Vision was 20/225 before surgery and 20/30 after surgery. No complications.

Last week my vision seemed to cloud. No pain. No sensation that something is in my eye. Eye wash has not improved anything.

If I blink slow, something cloudy slides in front of my eye. If I blink fast, this something either glides past my retina moving up or glides past my retina moving down.

The sensation is that something is in my eye behind the intra occular lens and is sliding around.

As long as this something does not stop in front of the retina, my vision is no different.

Does anyone recognize this oddity?

Thank you

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi I dont know enough about eyes to comment but i certainly would get this checked out immediatlley it doesnt sound normal to me! I had problems just having a cateract done and its all scary not knowing if they have done a proper job!  A friend had hers done last week and she said there were 2 men (i presume Drs) telling her surgeon what to do, i know they have to learn but not on me thanks. I hope you get some answers on here, good luck.
  • Posted

I am not a doctor. You should see your opthalmologist. Did you have a capsulotomy after the cataract surgery? I did, and I'd had a previous vitrectomy, so I don't have the vitreous gel most people have. Sometimes, when I look up a certain way, the flap of remaining capsule behind the lens drifts up for a second or two resulting in cloudiness and starbursts with lights at night. The capsular flap is supposed to curl up after time and become less of an issue. We shall see. I don't like it, but it's manageable. At first, I thought blinking had something to do with it, but no, it's eye movement instead. That's the only similarity I can contribute. Good luck.

• Posted

I would go see your Optimologist ASAP!

I had a vitreous detachment in my right eye which came with a flash and large stringy floaters. I was then sent to a Retinologist who found that I have DME (Diabetic Macular Edema). I am now receiving Avastin injections. Not much fun and the burn from the Betadine is horrible but it is worth it to save my sight!

• Posted

Oh ny. I am so sorry...I better telephone...big holiday weekend in USA begins Thursday
  • Posted

UPDATE UPDATE

Opthamologist did full eye exam including dialation.

The vitreus humor is a gel substance that gives the eyeball it's shape. My vitreus humor is liquifying...old age....and in the process of detaching. This process creates floaters, painless, an annoyance...and rapid flashes of light at my intra occular lens here and there. My vision remains unchanged excepting when a floater stops in front of the retina.

The vitreus humor has three attachment points, the danger is that as it liquifies, it creates a vacuum that puts stress on the retina. The vitral detachment process may therefore detach some or all of the retina.

I am to notify Dr. Haas if I observe any changes...otherwise my next appointment is in three weeks.

He advised me that tjis may be a nuisance for up to nine months. And yes, my other eye may have the same experience.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.