Ongoing chest pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello. I am a 33 year old male who has been having recurring chest pain that usually gets worse throughout the day. It happens for days on end. Sometimes when this happens I also get a strange feeling in my left hand. 

I've been diagnosed with GERD and my gastro thinks it's just the heartburn but I don't know. I had a CT Angiogram in March that said I had no blockages and my calcium score was 0. I have had chest x-rays and EKGs that have all been normal. I used to smoke but I quit almost ten years ago. I don't have high blood pressure but do have high cholesterol

Am I just being crazy or should I be concerned?

Thanks.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

It does sound like GERD.  If you've have angiograms, scans, and EKGs, is doesn't sound like your heart, unless it's angina. Have you been administered any nitroglycerin. If that stops the pain, then it's probably angina.

There are very effective medications for GERD.  I don't know what it would be called in the US but I take omeprazole twice a day.  Good Luck

• Posted

I've had it for years. I was once told 'Get used to it' by one consultant. 

• Posted

Thanks. I haven't been given nitroglyceri. They said back in March that everything was clear and that my heart and lungs looked fine. 

I'm on basicaly xantac and nexium (prescription strength) and have mostly changed my diet but it's not helping too much. 

• Posted

I've been on every PPI. They work for a while. At the moment I'm taking Pantroprazole. One diagnosis was Funcional Dyspepsia. Google it as it covers a wide range of symptoms. 

• Posted

I'm actually on Pantroprazole and Ranitidine but I don't feel much better. Had an endoscopy 2 weeks ago and was diagnosed with GERD and minor stomach inflammation.

I'd have thought angina would show up in scans and blood work?

• Posted

I have had GERD for most of my life.   Have you done things like raising the head of your bed, not eating in the evening and eating 6 smll meals a day instead of 3 regular ones?  Sometimes an antacid in addition to the prescripition medication can help. One very old remedy, mix a tsp of baking soda in a 1/2 glass of water and drink it.
    • Posted

I think that only an ECG shows that up but you can get false positives. I've had three that led to angiograms that were normal.

I actually had a new referral and saw the Gasrto doctor at 7.15 tonight. To have (another) barium swallow. Last one was two years ago.

• Posted

I've had all the tests and everything was normal, 3d CT Angiogram, CT Scan, X-Rays, blood work, and a few EKGs, all were normal regarding my heart. 

• Posted

I have raised my head and tried not eating in the evening and if I do I wait about 3 hours before going to bed. 

I haven't tried the 6 smaller meals but I probably should. I also have a small hiatal hernia that the doctors claim shouldn't be causing many problems but from what I've read they can. 

I'll have to try the baking soda.

• Posted

Doctor once told me to take the baking soda and if not a big burp bringing relief in five minutes call to 999.

I tend to drink a can of 7Up instead. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.