a blood test a couple of weeks ago which came back

normal but I'm concerned it could be a progression

of the neuropathy, side effects of the drug  or possibly 

an infection. Anyone out there having or had these

symtoms? 

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

this could be a side affect of the Mirtazapine so check the list on the documents which come with the tablets. If you have had blood tests its unlikely to be vitamin deficiency which leads to possibly some type of infection. Have you seen your GP about this?
    • Posted

Hi Steven, I spoke to my gp prior to having the blood test 

and he said to try gargling initially. The side effects with ADs

are many and a dry throat can be one of them. However

I do wonder if it is to do with withdrawal as I have reduced from

30mg to 15mg. When you look on the Mirtazapine forum some

people have horrendous problems but a lot are taking other

medications as well. Sadly it appears that normal analgesics

have no effect on nerve pain (unconfirmed idiopathic SFN).

• Posted

Hi there sorry I don't know what is going with the situation listed. But some studies do show that analgesics over all don't work. But for me, they do help immensely, along with the nortriptyline.

• Posted

no its rare to find that the standard analgesics work with neuropathic pain and coming off any of the meds prescribed for it can be difficult since they are strong painkillers. Have you reduced the tablets yourself or by the doctor ? If you are coming off them I dont understand why they were prescribed initially. I assume the initial problem is still there so try asking your gp for gabapentin or similar and only keep the dosage as low as required since any of these drugs are difficult to come off without some side affects.

It also seems that you have not actually been dx with any known problem so that needs to be a priority before settling on treatment

• Posted

I have had all the normal blood tests, diabetes,thyroid, b12, RA,

24hr water test, Lyme etc. A nerve conduction test came back

'unremarkable' and  unfortunately a punch biopsy test was

unavailable at  that time (funding!) After trying various

other drugs with unacceptable side effects I was prescribed

mirtazapine. I initially took 15mg and then advised to increase

to 30mg but found that the lower dose had the same effect.

Also I found that I was shedding hair. I am therefore no

further forward as to what has caused this debilitating

condition. I have a further consultation with my neurogolist

in January.

• Posted

Are you also taking statins, they can cause nerve pain Woodie
    • Posted

A nerve conduction test will not always pick up anything abnormal and you dont know which nerves have been damaged so you really need an MRI of both brain and spine. I tried Mirtazapine but it made me a bit loopy and changed to Gabapentin. The problems with nerve pain as you have probably seen here on the various pages is almost impossible to stop. some drugs will dull it down but nothing known on the market stops it completely. Anyone sufferring from neuropathic pain has to accept it for the rest of their lives or go nuts. I have Primary Progressive MS so all I have to look forward to is slowly becoming a cabbage with little or no control over my body. It is not all doom and gloom as you have to fight it every day and never let it beat you down
  • Posted

I sometimes get nerve pain in my tongue too...it usually lasts only a few mins..i dont take mirtazapine....so i believe its neuropathy thats the cause...mine started off about 3 yrs ago n only happens every couple of weeks.. (it used to be months apart)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.