Upper Calf pain & slipped disk

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi does anyone else with slipped disk or sciatica symtoms get a burning, throbbing and tingling pain in their upper calf muscle please? This has been happening to me for over 2 years now and I have since been diagnosed with a slipped disk but I worry about it so much because I know DVT can develop in the calf. Should I always put the pain down to my slipped disk? Has anyone ever had DVT and what does it feel like please? Thank you for any thoughts and experiences in advance

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have a bulging disk and get sciatica primarily on my right side. I get it in my back, hip, burning in my but, back of my thigh and down my leg particularly in the front. Thought I had something going on with the bone till I talked with my pain management doctor.
  • Posted

Slipped disc is painful. The sciatica pain is the disc is ruptured and the gelly like tissue in the disc is leaking out on the nerve root causing the pain. 

Depending on on the severity of your disc some can be managed by stretching, untra sound and epidural pain blocks & disc micro surgery repair. 

I was hit  by a drunk driver years ago and really caused serious damage to my back. Has plagued my back with on going issues ever since. Sciatica was miserable and had 2 herniated discs. Eventually were fused.

Today with all the above treatment and more the sciatica is gone but my back pain has no become a bit more complicated as I age. 

• Posted

Hello, Gabriella - I had suffered with the type of pain you described for almost two years. My back never hurt, so I was confused after having physical therapy, injections, chiropractic care (which some swear by, but I swear at) that the pain didn't clear. I'm almost 2 years post-op from total right hip replacement and revision (after dislocation), so when they suggested an MRI of my spine. I was confused, but after my results were reviewed, they sent me directly to a spinal surgeon and I was really feared up at even the prospect of surgery sad 

My pain mostly was in the right leg down the side. I developed calf pain and pain in my right buttocks that went from bad to worse in a matter of weeks. I couldn't describe my pain to anyone but can tell you I was reduced to tears on a daily basis, for several months. While I awaited surgery, the pain increased significantly and the few days before surgery when I had to be weaned from all pain medications, I honestly thought I was going mad! Crying was my only coping mechanism. On day of the surgery, I could barely walk - I had to use a wheelchair to get to the ladies' room, even. 

After ER the surgery, when it came time to get out of bed and walk - I had absolutely no pain on my right side -- nothing at all!!  I'm still using pain meds post-operatively (Percocet and Gabapentin) but have slept thru the night without them and can walk as soon as I get out of bed. I'm no longer uncomfortable sitting for any length of time -- the list goes on and on. 

My suggestion is to consult with a surgeon and find out what your options are. If I had known how immediate the relief would be for me, I'd have done this much, much sooner. 

Best of luck!!

I'm 10 days post-op and very grateful smile 

• Posted

Omg I forgot to say that my doctor said my disc was so severely slipped, it was crushing my nerve and as soon as he took care of things surgically (L4/5 laminectomy and fusion, two rods, four screws), it plumped right up. 

I almost don't need to know why - I just know it worked smile 

Penni 

• Posted

Hi Gabriella,

How are you? This is an old thread but I stumble upon it when I have the same symptom as yours.

I have a right disc protrusion at L5S1 and have been resting on bed a lot. I’m afraid DVT will develop with reduced activity.

Did you get your calf checked out by a doctor? How was it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.