I really think I could have colon cancer

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi guys, I made a post about 4 days ago and didn't hear back from any of the community. So now I've started a new thread, maybe it was too long or something...

These are my symptoms:

- 4 nights ago, very noticeable red blood in stool

- Dull aching pain almost exclusively on upper and lower left side of body

- Significant decrease in appetite

- Constipation + Diarrhea seemingly at the same time

- Lots of gas

- Lots of narrow stools, however rarely an "urgent" need to go

I am 23 years old just this November and I'm male. I work out a relative amount, quite intensely sometimes. Last year my father had polyps removed, and he has a sensitive stomach in general. My grandfather was diagnosed with colitis in his 20's, died from pancreas cancer in his 70's.

I just want to know how serious this is, and what else this could be because I am just up at night fearing cancer. I have a meeting with a gastroenterologist next week Tuesday but I'm petrified and don't know what to ask.

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Explain symptoms to the gastroenterologist-ask if he thinks you need a colonoscopy/CT scan ?

Then let him tell you what he will do-

It may not be as bad as you think.

Good Luck

Keep up to date-here.

• Posted

Can you get in any earlier? Im in the same boat. Im not saying you have the c word.. but i know how scary it is just not knowing. The narrowing of the stool is obviously from bowel obstruction. It could be a few other things other than a tumour but i know you just wanna rule cancer out. Same with me. Its taken over my thoughts especially when its quiet. Thats all i think about. Have you had your blood and stool tested yet?
  • Posted

Hi max better go to your doctor and request for colonoscopy. We have the same issue actually mine is worst. Im experiencing on and off bleeding since Nov 2014. Lots of gas and also narrow stools. Incostent washroom habits. I already had 2 colonoscopies since then and the findings is just dicerticulosis and internal hemmorhoid which i will have forwver.
  • Posted

I have narrow stools also but I don't know if it has to do with the Metamucil that I take daily which can loosen stools . My stools come out narrow S shaped

• Posted

Thanks a lot for letting me know that there are some possible other causes here. I will really be pushing for a colonoscopy when I see the doctor. I'm sorry to hear about the diverticulosis/hemmoroids and I truly wish you the best in dealing with them. I am hoping now that I have something similar, it sounds so much better to be inflicted with this over cancer.

I can go into urgent care whenever over this weekend but I don't know if it's nessacary or not, since I am meeting a gastroenterologist on Tuesday. Since writing this I have still had thinner stools and the pain in my left side is still dull and constant. The color of stool isn't bright red anymore however the brown does appear slightly marone in color.

• Posted

I thought I should add... Not sure if it's relevant or not...

Earlier this year around March, I had my appendix removed, at this time I had a CT scan which identified my appendix as badly inflamed. Would this scan have revealed possible cancers? Or is this not really a good measure to count on?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.