Chronic BV- Could it be more?

Posted , 4 users are following.

About 4 months ago I started seeing this new guy. SInce I have an IUD and we are monogamous, we do not use condoms and he finished inside me. Around that same time I went to the doctor because I had a frequent urge to pee and thought I had a UTI. The doctor told me that I had BV. Before this I had only ever had BV once, and it ended up clearing up on its own.

But this time I took the oral antibiotics they gave me and continued on with my life. I thought the BV went away but I felt the symptoms coming back, and even worse this time since I was having an itch and sex was becoming painful. 

So I went back to the doctor again and they gave me the same medicine. This time they told me not to have sex for the week I am on the medicine and to use condoms for a month since my uterine wall needs time to rebuild itself and the sperm was not going to help that. I tried to follow those instructions as best possible, but me and my boyfriend really hate condoms so we tried to use them most of the time and just pull out otherwise (I think we may have had a two or three slip ups throughout that month where he finished in me on accident).

Before the month was even over I could feel that BV still lingering around so I went back to the doctor. This time I had also been experiencing other issue. I think due to the oral antibiotics I was having GI issues- which is common for me. On top of that I had began spotting a little- which was EXTREMELY alarming to me because I had not had a period in over 2 years due to my IUD. When I used to get a period I had bad back pain which I began having now as well. Anyway the doctor gave me the supository antibotics instead this time, and after taking those my pain has gotton even worse. I also have been taking probiotics for over a month now and they appearently have not helped.?

So I am writing here because the urge to have to pee is now so intense it keeps me up at night, and the back pain is almost unbearable. I just peed and there was specks of red on the paper when I wiped, almost like spots of dried up blood or something. I have never seen anything like this before.

I would like to mention that my boyfriend also was having some issues as well. He said he had pain when he ejaculates so his doctor gave him some antibiotics, but he still has a slight throbbing going on.This makes me beleive that there may be something other than BV going on since BV can not be spread back and forth and shouldnt affect men.

Does anyone have any advice on this? Do you think I may have anything other than BV? Im worried because of the lack of knowledge the doctors I have seen have about BV, and how wishy washy the infor I have read online is. Thanks in advance <3

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello.  I'm so sorry to hear you are suffering with this problem.  I wanted to give you my thoughts as one of many approaches to consider, as there are usually multiple solutions to any given problem.  At some point, when all else has failed, I would suggest that removal of the IUD is necessary to remediate your condition.  Things have gone awry, and the only way to get back to normal is to get back to basics - put your vagina back to its orginal state.  The symptoms you're describing suggest that there is some sort of failure going on, and risking ectopic pregnancy and enduring the symptoms can't be worth it.  Caught up in the midst of a problem like this, it can be hard to step back and assess.  The IUD worked for a while, but not anymore.  And maybe sometime in the future when your vagina is back to normal, you could try the IUD again.  It can take a while for that to happen though.  Best wishes to you and may you find your way out of this mess. Regards.

• Posted

You should go and see another doctor or go to the hospital!!

To me this sounds like a UTI, a realy bad one that already infected your kidneys. That's what is causing your back to hurt. The urge to pee is typical UTI, it will get even worse if you don't treat it.

The blood and the backache are realy bad signs, your kidneys could get damaged.

Go to the doctor ASAP!

• Posted

Thanks for the reply! I ended up going to the ER today and its definately not a UTI, they said it doesnt even look like BV anymore (I think because I cleared that up), but they are still running some tests. Thanks again!
    • Posted

Hi danielle50731, I feel your frustrations! I just found out last Wednesday that I have bv. It's nice to know I'm not alone on this bv journey. :-( I'm so sad about all this! I took flagyl twice a day for 7 days. I got my period on the 23rd and now I'm still feeling symptoms of bv. My period has been weird too, it's a light one. A mix of pink, red, and brown blood. Cramps were intensified while having bv. I'm scared because my urethra is swollen and stings, feels tender. All this because I told this guy I knew since childhood that I wasn't ready for sex and on his sixth try after me saying no 5 times, caved in. I'm so mad at myself and he's my number 2. This bv didn't present itself until 6 months after the fact. I wonder why it didn't show up right away? Could this be the cause of dirty fingers too? I feel helpless and like there's no hope from all I have read. I have an appointment with my natural pathic Doctor on Tuesday and with my obgyn again next month. Does this ever go away? Thanks all for the support! :-) best wishes to u all and feel free to lean on me for support!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.