Please help, I'm so depressed

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, I have been using 125mg fentanyl patch for 3 weeks however i felt very depressed on them, having hallucuniations, bad dreams, anxiety attacks, in fact i felt so ill. i went on holiday for 2 weeks and got a nasty chest infection and had to go on anitbiotics, when i came hime on friday i took the patch off as i felt awful and knew i was having a panic attack and side effects from the patch. It has left me feeling really depressed which i never was 3 weeks ago, can someone please tell me that this feeling will go away. the fentanyl should be out of my system by now. thank you

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Fentanyl takes a long time to completely leave your body.  It took me three months to be able to sleep a normal night and get over feeling tired.  Depression hits when we have so much to deal with and it weighs us down. I fight it also.  My insurance card has a number on the back for a nurse line that I have used before.  I pray to God and sing praise songs to feel better.  I have tried the medicines but they make me gain weight which creates more pain.  Not a good choice for me.  Taking a walk outside helps a lot.  Hook up you dog or a friends and go for a walk.  Animal are great to chase depression away.  Hope some of these ideas help.  You will get thru this but you will have to work at it.  Just don't set alone and let it get you.  Reaching out online was a great start!  Let me know how you are doing....I will be praying for you!  Susan

• Posted

The Fent is NOT out of your system since you just took it off Friday. The best thing you can do for yourself is stay away from this medicine. If you are feeling that depressed, PLEASE seek help from a professional. This feeling should go away but everyone is different. I'm in my own hell right now but I know it will get better. Your side effects could (possibly) get worse before it gets better. But it will pass. Again, seek professional help from your doctor or whoever. Really wish you well.

Melissa

• Posted

Dear hayleyclaire,

That's a pretty stong dose which could be cause of the depression, but hey, I'm not a doctor. My problems with depression occured when I was taken of this medicine. Maybe Fentanyl is not a good option for you; I would find out before your body starts to "like" the 125mg, because I fear that climbing down off that dose may not be a pleseant experience. I wish I had something more positive to add, but this is just my take.

• Posted

Hi hayleyclaire this will pass eventually but you need support NOW. Try to get a Dr appointment and get help with your depression and not with more toxic drugs, counselling or CBT would be better. 

125mcg is far to high a dose to start with and would be the cause of your symptoms. The dosage should start low and you should be observed for any side effects which clearly hasn't happened in your case. Weired dreams are common if the dose is too high-- dreaming of meeting the dead was one of mine I was in hospital and was visited daily by the pain team to see how I was responding to the fentanyl. I needed an urgent operation and couldn't get it due to multiple pulmonary emboli and pain was a major issue. I was given 12.5mcg to start.

This drug is pure evil and should only be used in terminal care for end of life where withdrawal is not an option. Count yourself fortunate you only had it for 3 weeks. If you took the patch off on Friday you are at Day 3 the worst and things should start to slowly improve .So please do not despair. Can I ask why were you put on the patch? Are you overweight / very tall that they started at such a high dose ? Someone needs their knuckles rapped. You have simply become toxic on this dose.

The depression will take longer to resolve.

Fentanyl fits the "feel good receptor" in your brain and since it has now been denied then you will feel "down". it takes a little while till your body starts to produce its own seratonin again. This can be speeded up by exercising as Susan has suggested.

Many who respond here have or are tapering from Fentanyl. It is a slow very painfull process which you fortunatly will not have to endure. Withdrawals are not kind. You have thankfully avoided that but will still get some withdrawals. Keep in touch so that we can all help. Hopefully you will get more replies to help you.

It's worth reading around this site to see exactly what this drug does and it's not good.

• Posted

I guess I'm stuck in my own world here, because it seems nobody  remembers why they ever took the suggested dose of fentanyl in the first place. I have severe pain that keeps me bed ridden, with weeks of zero sleep. Being a supper hyper active person that is something to deal with to say the least. Here in Amarillo Texas there are only 19 year old kids avalable for counsuling or mental help for depression. I'm on 75 mg of the fentanl patch right now and it just barly if anything ay all effects me. I'm waiting for my major spine rebuilding surgery this Jan, 24th. Right now I would p*ss on a spark plug if I thought it would do any good. Best of venture to all of you. I really hope you get where you want to be..

• Posted

I think most of us remember why we were given it in the first place. I know I do. I've been in bed for most of the past 5+ years from severe pain. The problem is, because of the crackdown on doctors and pressure on them to not prescribe these drugs, many of them simply stop prescribing. That's what my dr has done. Not only that, but most drs, mine included, don't have a clue about detoxing off this stuff. And in my case, my dr gave me a deadline.

I wouldn't be where I am without this support group. It sounds to me like the Fent isn't really doing the job of managing your pain. That is a common thread in this group. I'm sorry you're going through so much pain and I hope your surgery will be a success. Continue to do as your doctor orders and when you're ready to get off this drug, we'll be here to help you. This stuff is 70 (I saw a dr show the other day that said 100) times stronger than heroin. And like Actiq, after going through what we've been through (I'm STILL going through), I feel like Fent should be used end of life or very very short term. I would investigate if there's something else you could take that might actually help (like Dilaudid?).

If you don't mind, how long have you been on the Fent? And honestly, does it work for you?

Please stay in touch with us. We aren't doctors or psychologists or therapist, but we can share our thoughts and experiences. I wish there were more available counseling options there for those who need it.

Hang in there. January will be here before you know it.

Melissa

• Posted

Thanks Melissa. This morning is a bad one, so I'll get back to you asap.

• Posted

Hi Joe sorry to hear you are having a tough day. I do hope you have improved. My drug councillor from a drug charity that my Dr sent me to (MY DR Practise doesn't deal with "drug addicts"wink Had never heard of Fentanyl. I was assessed by 2 workers and they were disgusted at my Dr stopping my Fentanyl so I could take a more "normal" drug like Oramorph. ( I am a cancer patient ).They did question if they were the correct people to treat me and since no one else was, I decided to go with them on the premise they treat addiction. My taper programme I devised myself after consulting with good folks here who were the best support and kept me going especially at the dark times. The drug councillor I saw weekly for 1-1.5 hours. She was good at rattling cages of the pain team and the GP and she fought my corner. She was a good source of information and support. Laterly I saw her only when I wanted and signed off from her only 2 weeks ago despite stoping in August. She always maintained I was going way to quick with my reduction. She couldn't beleive that I would stop so quickly. She gave me good tips. When I stopped taking what was prescribed by the DR she told me not to get the pharmacy to deliver but to hold on to my drugs so they were there if I wanted and get rid of all other Fentanyl at home. This was the best tip. Yes, I did have slip ups, if Fentanyl especially the actiq was in the house. Once it was removed completely the temptation wasn't there. I had great satisfaction when I finally phoned the Pharmacist to say I didn't want my last 3 prescriptions that she had kept for me and I would no longer require Fentanyl from her. The pharmacist was very supportive. I chose not to take the oral morphine. My pain level is only slighly higher than with the Fentanyl.

I too spend much time in bed as I have limited mobility. My pain level will never improve. You are fortunate if an operation in January can help you. I wish you well and let us know how you get on with the op.

• Posted

Hi after reading your comments on only being given to terminal ill person scares me to death, as and I wait for you squinting in shock  im 62  not on deaths door  yet but I will say I suffer from chronic pain with both types of arthritis, and now over a year of shingles and now PHN. right here goes I am on now 125 fentanl patches and i have been on these patches for over 12 years  yes 12 years and I have been informed that I will never ever  be able to come off it,  how true  Im not sure as I  know at the moment  after having nerve block which have not worked, for my shingles under my bust round the back to the shoulders. I would dread to see what I would be like if I did not have the patches, and yes I know you can say  it stops to allow me to live , as the shingles was because I became low after the death of my partner, and as shingles is hidden until you become very low and depressed. then it strikes. if you saw the cocktail of meds that im on, doctors don't understand that my shingles can cripple a person  ice packs and Oxynorm are my main areas to fall upon when I get worried or anxious , even the simple thing like sitting and typing this can and often will blow my PHN to such pain.. I really wanted to come off the patches, but the question is WILL I...

• Posted

If you decide you want off you have to slowly down the dose. I was on 100mg and then 50 and then 25 for 16 years. I went cold turkey for the last step which was stupid. Now I'm on 5-6 vicoprofen daily. I have no idea what pain is from withdrawal or nerve damage. I still have two boxes but I can't go back now. I just keep searching for remedies. You need to live so you need to find your tolerance level. I would try to scale back if possible. I wish you the very best and that you can be comfortable

• Posted

Jocelyne,

Here's the problem - for example, I don't know if you saw what I wrote, but doctors here in the states, including FL are getting pressured to stop prescribing Fentanyl. My dr simply said, I want you off and oh by the way you have til the end of Dec! Did not offer to help me figure it out just gave me a deadline. If I hadn't found the people I did on here, I don't know what I would have done. Actiq has been with me since I started in July. It has been said, once you are on this drug, plan on it being for life. I've been on it for about as long as you. I'm cold turkeying the last 23mcg. We aren't trying to scare anyone. If it's helping you and your dr is willing to continue to prescribe it, then that's great for you. Most of us on here are in process of getting off the drug for various reasons and we are helping each other through it. I'm finding out that my pain level is not that much worse without it and I've heard others say the same. I think what happens is as with other MEDS, if you've been on it for a while it's no longer as effective. Don't get me wrong. I am in a LOT of pain right now - but if I could get my restless legs and arms under control, it would help. It's from withdrawal. But please, do what's best for you. We aren't doctors. Just people who have been on relatively high doses of Fent for a long time and we're helping each other.

Best wishes,

Melissa

• Posted

thanks Carol I dont know vicoprofen  it must be from your area  I live in England  but thank you I wish you well   jocelyne
    • Posted

Hi Jocelyne sorry if I scared you, that was not the intention.

The reason that many beleive Fentanyl should be used only for intra operative analgesia, epidurals and end of life is that there are no major issues over addiction here for short term use or terminal care.

This is a major issue with the use of Fentanyl and chronic pain where you rightly identify that you are not at deaths door. However you do build up a tolerance and dependency to this drug.

Melissa correctly identifies that as a long term chronic pain sufferer her care is dictated by goverment legislation and directives. In the US there is a drive to stop prescribing Fentanyl for chronic pain. It is dictated to the patients when they will stop receiving Fentanyl, with little support and guidance of how to do this regardless off their health conditions. Most individuals on this drug have multiple complex health issues. Withdrawal is very tough and more so when it is dictated to the individual. It is not right that a health care system that prescribes an addictive drug can withdraw it so abruptly with no consequences except to the vunerable patients. For that reason alone it should not be used for chronic pain.

Opinion in the UK is also changing with regard to Fentanyl and it may be the case that what is happening in the US may also happen in the UK.

I was informed in April 2016 by a pain Consultant I would be on Fentanyl for life too. June I was informed by my GP my Fentanyl would stop and I would get a more normal painkiller  "oromorph " despite the fact I can't absorb this due to having my small intestine removed due to radiotherapy damage. I was off Fentanyl by August. Then in October I was told by my Oncologist I should never have been taken off Fentanyl.

I for one am not going to be a pawn in changing directives or ideas.

You should look at the current UK guidelines for Fentanyl and be aware they change for those over 65 years.

• Posted

Thank you for putting my thoughts into words. I don't want anyone to ever go through this...I wouldn't have made it this far without you Actiq. Do you realize we started this in July? Praying my journey is soon over. Last night was better with RLS but still couldn't sleep. So far this morning mostly stomach issues and I feel like my whole body is vibrating....but I'll take it over RLS any day!

Big hugs!

M

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.