Physio update

Posted , 9 users are following.

It's now 7 weeks post TKR and this was my first visit to physio in clinic.

I told her I was disappointed with my progress. Her immediate response was 'Its only 7 weeks!'

My knee bend is almost 90 degrees which in itself a minor miracle because before the op I couldn't bend the knee at all!!!

I have to work on straightening my leg and refrain from twisting the knee.

My physio was delighted with my progress! Feeling optimistic! Next visit 23 December!

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Elizabeth I had the same response from my chiropractor. I'm also just over 7 weeks and he said I'm doing very well...so relax and listen to your body. Take caresmile

• Posted

Even though you don't think so at the moment you are doing well, but remember to do all your exercises at home and this is really important but I'm sure you know that of course, and after you do them if even a bit of pain ice and heat whichever helps you personally, also raise it as often as you can.

Really glad your in a better place now you have had it done

• Posted

I'm certainly in a better place. For the last 18 years my knee got increasingly worse. I like nothing better than walking my dog along a prom and watching the waves. Not done that over a long time! Got some different exercises to take the edge of the boredom! Thanks again!

• Posted

Well done I'm 6 months post op with my lovely shiny new knee haha, seriously it's a tough op took some getting over, but once I got to 4 months it seem to turn a corner, I've been doing   Physiotherapy twice a week and exercise daily at home, I've now been discharged from physio but I've joined a gym and go 3 times a week, I walk my two dogs for a good hour a day, I don't take any meds now, in the early days I iced and elevated many times a day,  but I can't stress enough how important the exercises are I feel absolutely amazing now and I've never walked so much in all my life good luck it'll be worth it in the end 

• Posted

Congratulations....I agree its been a tough road so far. I am really looking forward to the four month milestone and hope I too will turn the corner as you have. I love walking and have not been able to walk any distance for the last five years so hoping that will change now I have a new knee. Good luck to all other tkrs out there smile

• Posted

Hi I'm new. 13 days post op. All these posts are very encouraging. It's so uplifting when your at the very beginning. Thanks. 

• Posted

Wow. I've been looking for a related issue to mine. I'm 13 days post op TKR and feel way behind. I know I'm just starting but have lost faith in myself. Please keep us up to date on your Phsio. I start next week. 

• Posted

13 days...your TKR is just a wee infant...you are working hard, it's not easy to sit still and watch a TKR heal...you have to keep it elevated, you have to haul frozen gel packs back and forth from the freezer, do a couple of range of motion exercises...I see a lot to have great faith in...warm hugs

• Posted

hi Elizabeth,

​Funny how there are different approaches to post recovery.

​I had a partial knee replacement as a NHS patient in a private hospital. PT policy was a patient would not be discharged until they had at least a 90 degree bend and could walk up steps. I achieved this within 3 days of surgery.

The weeks that followed were bloody hard graft but I was driving my car in 8 weeks and back at work driving a bus at 11 weeks.

​In the first 3 weeks op - I went to massage therapy for deep tissue massage to prevent scar tissue forming.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.