Different aftercare

Posted , 8 users are following.

As you know my partner and I have both had total hip replacements mine right and his left. No not buy one get one free 😊

Anyway, he had his three week follow up physio appointment today, I'm 7 weeks today.

He has been told he can get on the exercise bike, start using the resistance band and keep up his hour a day walking. Why am I peeved? Well I was told at 6 weeks I could get on the bike, use the bands etc so now I'm feeling that I'm not as far on as I at first thought 😕

The other thing is that he seems to get a very dry mouth at night which wakes him up as he then needs a drink! It's driving me mad as I'll be sound asleep and then all I can hear is him getting up for either the toilet or a drink. We're in separate rooms during this healing process but I still get wakened up.

My question is do you think this dry mouth thing is normal? He's stopped taking the painkillers so it's not that!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

At my hospital there is a huge difference between the advice on these matters given by the actual surgeons, and the physios have to follow whatever your suggestion says. I have to admit though, I'm doing really well, three weeks now and actually the surgeon discharged me last week as "completed" which is very early. No pain, no problems, it's been like a dream. And my surgeon made it clear I would be crucified if I went anywhere near gym equipment in the first six weeks. I am allowed resistance bands for some exercises, and a small peddling thing. But exercise bike, treadmill or whatever - nope!

As for the getting up - typical man. Hasn't he understood what "creep quietly" means! My dog can manage it and he's presumably smarter than my dogbiggrin

• Posted

It seems that the aftercare advice differs wildly. I was encouraged by my physio to go on the exercise bike at the gym at less than three weeks post op and last time I saw her (at just under four weeks) she said elliptical was also fine.

Admittedly I've made a very fast recovery. It I suspect she'd have said the same thing to most people! She also said that the risk of dislocation was tiny after the first few days and she doesn't agree with keeping all the restrictions (such as sleeping on your back) in place once you're out of hospital.

I guess at the end of the day it's all people's opinions isn't it? Probably no definitive answer to any of this, although I'm sort of following the rule that if it hurts I stop!

• Posted

Hi Susan! We are all at different levels of our recovery!please remember you've had a major op.Some people don't heal for a year or more.I had my right hip done last year.It wasn't easy for me & the main reason is because I am my disabled Hubby S full time carer.He to has Level Arthritis,of the hips,knees & is Ina lot of pain.As for me as a carer after my op I had no proper help with my aftercare.! So had to adapt my self to a very awkward situation & Ian now back to square one!! However also I find it very difficult to relax.I have reflexology every other week.But find a jacuzzi wonderful as it relaxes my muscles.Regards Amanda h

• Posted

Most surgeons do not allow that kind of exercise until after 6 weeks. Some surgeons are much more conservative and limit it for even longer. Not only is it to prevent problems with your new prostheses and their connections to your bones, but also to prevent soft tissue damage to muscles, tendons, ligaments and connective tissue. Waiting a few extra weeks to allow that healing to take place is a good thing, in my opinion!

Dry mouth is very common after surgery, and I was plagued by it for a long time after my THR, and now, again, after my second hip surgery. Often it occurs because our surgeons require us to sleep on our backs for a number of weeks (6 weeks for me) and mouths will often open while sleeping when muscles relax, hence the dry mouth. This is especially true of those of us with sleep apnea. You can lessen the dry mouth by sleeping sitting propped up. You can also keep a small bottle of water in bed with you and take sips when you wake up. That's what I do. I also keep a tube of Biotene gel in bed with me (I have a small bag for my nighttime necessities!). If you google that item, you'll see it's a gel that moisturizes the mouth, and supposedly works up to 4 hours. If your partner can take care of his needs without getting up, then you won't wake up!

• Posted

He is sleeping on his back whereas I sleep on my side maybe why I don't have  that problem cheesygrin

• Posted

I had that problem of dry mouth for awhile even after I stop pain meds. That stuff is in your system not to mention any anesthesia for several months per nurse. So dry mouth and having to drink more water hence the going to the bathroom more. I know cause this was going on with me like I said for awhile. Now I'm fine and can sleep through the night and don't need to go to bathroom till early morning then I gotta go!!! Lol I sometimes don't want to get out of bed and practically go in my pants when I finally get out of bed cause I waited too long!!! Hope things get better! Hugs, 🤗 LD

• Posted

each body is the same, yet different...You can arrive at the ice cream store via route A and he can get to the ice cream store vis route B...in the end, you both get an ice cream cone...
  • Posted

hi susan , 

cheesygrin arghhhh ... men ... I agree with posted comments -

male body heals different, usually faster than female -annoying ... same with losing weight ....

I had a lot of toilet runs in the first weeks post-op - I think it is part of the healing process - I also was on blood thinners for 6 weeks - 

It is not a competition sweetheart --- eventhough I understand the way you feel .. 

happy healing and big warm hug for both of you

renee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.