Nerves are creeping in

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi everyone. I'm having uncemented left THR on the 17th December. And there are a couple of  concerns creeping in now....

how will I sleep being one of them. Just can't sleep on my back. I do have a Riser/recliner chair but am insure if I'm allowed to use this to sleep on.

Then there's the walkin outside. Will I be able to walk up or down hills? I live in a very hilly area.

Also I have pain in my left knee. My surgeon feels this is residule from my hip problem. Has anyone else had this and if so does it go after THR? I'm not at all concerned about post surgery pain as I think anything must be better than the pain from my hip at present but am a little concerned about the knee pain.

Im 60 and live in the UK.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

hi joy, 

warm welcome to the hippies forum and  posting your first discussion ....

It is overwhelming, isn't it ?  

I don't think I can answer your concern about your knee - It is very possible that this pain occurs because of your bad hip .. if you are in pain now, your body will find a way to walk with the least pain and so your knee will take a lot of abuse ...

your questions are valid, of course,however, at this point have the surgery first - 

do you have any support at home? is your house more or less prepared for post-op time - raised toiletseat, grabbers, raised bed perhaps - 

For excellent information, please go to:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147 , created by our valued forum member Graham, aka Rocketman ...scroll down until you find :

A Layman's Guide -

and of course, come back here any time you have a question or concern ...

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Joy,

I will be nearly 8 weeks after left THR operation. I have pain in my left knee as well. I thinks knee pain have to do somethink

With hip pain. After operations my knee is fine no pain. I was

told not to sit or use recliner chair but i live in Australia. Uk

Coul be diferent then here. I never sleep before operation on my back but i did have to. Now i can sleep on both side but with

Pilows between my leg. After operation i find hard to sleep

properly but evry one is different. Just dont wory about ur knee

Im sure all will be fine. Best of luck ,goodd luck . Please let me

How all went. This site is great to help u give u advise. Tney help me so much. Hug Madla☺

• Posted

Hi Joy.

I am 5 weeks post RTHR and sleeping on my back was a big concern for me. I struggled to begin with until I got a big V pillow and slept almost sat up. It really helped. Trust me you will sleep eventually as you will be so tired. The recliner chair will be comfortable but getting out of it could be difficult if it's not the right height. Take care there.

I have pain in my right knee which is how the doc found that my hip was bad. The knee pain is still there at present but am reserving judgement until much further on.

I am 53 and live in the north of England.

Good luck with your operation. You will benefit from it I am sure. Xx

• Posted

Ps Joy. I am now sleeping on both sides. Pillow between knees on my good side. That has helped. Xx
  • Posted

I had very bad referred knee pain, to the extent that I was convinced I needed a knee replacement! It was only because my GP was aware of the possibility that I was sent for both knee and hip X-rays before referral to the correct orthopaedic surgeon. Not a knee twinge after the op
  • Posted

Hi Joy,

My op is scheduled for the 19th so I feel your nerves! I have knee pain too in my left and I'm convinced this is to do with my hip. I'm 29 and have had pain for over 5 years but it has got progressively worse this year.

I'm really worried about sleeping too but have a maternity pillow I'm going to use from my sister!

Good luck with your op

Verity

• Posted

Hi Joy

Get yourself a V pillow they are amazing, I also put a couple of extra pillows over this and was nice and comfy on my back, it will mean that you're slightly sitting up to sleep . I'm 9 week post op and I'm now laying flat on pillows, I haven't laid on my sides yet. I didn't have any pain in my knees before the op but I have stiffness in the knee now but I think this is due to swelling, plus I haven't had any physio yet.

Don't worry, just get yrself organised so that you have everything ready when you return home. I did sit on a rise and recline chair but I raised it with blankets so it was the right height. Not suggesting that you do this, maybe check with your consultant beforehand. I found it really helped with relieving swelling in the leg.

Good luck.

Julie-Ann x

• Posted

Hello , Sorry I can't help with the knee pain x sleeping on your back I think everyone has problems with . I hated it ,it was one of the worst parts . I was often till early hours . . I found sleeping pills from the doctor to be the key 🔑 x I took them every other night x re the hills , I'd be concerned about any ice or slippery slopes at this time of year . Slow and steady with good shoes that grip x but you need someone else to put them on 😂. Be prepared You may not want to go out for the first few weeks xx promise me your do your exercises xx before and after operation, so important x blessings. X I'm 35 in U.K. 8 weeks post op 👱🏻???

• Posted

Hi joy

I am 56 live in Wales and 7 weeks past un cemented THR.

Basically you can sleep your back if you take the right medication ! I was sozzled out on painkillers codeine so I slept pretty good . Recliner wasn't allowed because of the 90 degree rule plus it would have been impossible to get out of one .

No you may not be able to

Walk hills straight away but once healed no problem .

I had referred knee pain too prior to op ... All gone after op . Beware walking with your bad leg knee turned inwards towards the other leg as that makes your knee hurt after the op .. You have to sort of use your heel a bit more and almost mentally remember to straighten your bad leg knee out and slightly to the right to avoid the knock knee effect. Then the hip does the work not the knee .

Everyone has nerves that's normal . First two weeks I was really incapacitated . 7 weeks in can walk stairs unaided and round and about with no aid at all .

Won't kid you. ... Hurts like a B**** as such a big op afterwards but it does go .

Best of luck ! X

• Posted

Hi Joy, I had a left THR 10 weeks ago and my left knee pain has gone. I'm sure you realise that this is a major operation and your going to be restricted in what you can do for several weeks. Regarding lying on your back, as I understand it, it's important to do as much as possible so that the muscles etc that have been cut through heal up properly and to keep the ligaments/tendons in the front of your hip stretched out. As you say anything is better than your current hip pain !

One thing I never considered was the drugs giving me constipation - if you think you're being affected and you're offered laxatives, take them regularly. I didn't 'go' for a week and it was so uncomfortable !

Best wishes for your op, Lisa.

• Posted

Joy

I think lots of us have difficulty sleeping on our backs. I wondered about getting an adjustable back rest (Boots sell them) and may well do so before my op in January. But last time I just used pillows, though I did sometimes wake to find I'd shifted a bit onto my side.

It's hilly here too. I think walking on smooth ground is more important than flat ground.

Not sure about the knee though.

I had my hip done about 8 years ago and also live in the UK. Off to the Nuffield in Oxford in Jan to sort out an infection in the bone. So I think I'll be sleeping on my back for 8 weeks or so. Mike

• Posted

Hi joy 

I also has concerns like you about sleeping on my back as I always sleep on my stomach or sides. I practiced before the op but just couldn't drop of at all 

Have been amazed at how easily I sleep on my back now , I use a pillow and a v pillow on top of it and prop myself up , could not believe the first night I came home how well I slept surprisingly. 

I too have a rise and recline chair which I could sleep I. If I like ,but tend to lounge in it in the day find it helps the swelling in my lower legs go down. 

At first I was worried about the lie back chair position ,but I found with mine if you lie it back slightly before you bring your feet up it doesn't break the 90 degree rule and is very comfortable. 

Good luck with your op ,look forward to hear how you get on after the op . 

Stsy in contact 

with best wishes 

suzie X

• Posted

Hi Joy 

I'm three and a half weeks post op, and you couldn't live in a bulkier place than I do! I'm at the top of the Pennines. The entire world is either uphill or downhill from me! And rest assured, I have managed hills fine. It will take some working on, and when you are comfortable with it will depend on your own individual journey. I was fortunate with no pain at all and the replacement felt like my own from the start, so I was walking  up and down the street - that is uphill and downhill- two days after the op. 

Just relax, go with the flow and don't push yourself too hard. You need to balance between too much and to little. But you will be fine. Don't even think otherwise! This is the most successful operation going, and the odds are massively in your favor to have your life back soon!

• Posted

Hi Joy,

Please don't worry about these things now. Just think that in just three months time, your life will have changed and all that pain and suffering will be behind you. Start looking forward to the Spring and the new you.

All will be just dandy.

Maureen xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.