Would really like this answered

Posted , 5 users are following.

Was on amatrypline from last November to this October and it helped. I was on 10mg. This October I came off for a week to start with I felt great and after a week I felt dizzy and had tingles in back of head and felt sick. So I went back on it at 10mg but hasn't seemed to have kicked in yet? After 3 weeks I had migraine I think although I believe I was dizzy n unbalanced from my ears not a headache and I'm now on my 4th week and have doubled it to 20mg the last two days I was extremely dopey yesterday and today I just feel nauseas and lack energy. I have had to take this week of work.

When will this kick in?

Should I go back down to 10mg?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi there

I was prescribed this and felt no change on 10mg for the first week. My doctor advised increasing the dose on week 2 to 20mg. I had sore heads and blurred vision and lethargic. Week 3 he asked me to triple it, I took 3 and was up all night, it had emphasised everything. I was the sorest I'd ever been.

It's not funny but to look back now we're okay I can kind of brush it off, but the 3 weeks I was on these inactually kicked my partner out every weekend. I was paranoid, reading too much into things, in a really bad depressive state. Anger I had no control over, they literally sent me off my head. I'm better not I stopped taking them. Everyone is different, 'at e you're used to them now?

I've actually stopped taking any meds just now, I just try and manage the pain as best as possible. I'm scared to try anything else if I'm honest

Hope you get it sorted out xx

• Posted

No I was on 10mg for nearly a year had. A Week off and had to go back on them so why is it taking so long to work? How long do the side affects last?
  • Posted

Hi Numb. I've used this for 6 years for nerve pain and

post surgery pain. I had always alternated:

10 one night to 20 the other. Depending on why you

use amitriptyline, the tingling may be nerve sensations.

Don't forget you could simply have an unrelated virus

responsible for dizziness etc and it's completely

coincidental. I decided to stop this last year, without

side effects, just to see if pain condition had improved.

It hadn't so I'm back on 20, plus another pain med!

I always take it early evening, after eating but

mornings are always a little fuzzy.

• Posted

How did 10mg and 20mg the next and so on work for you? It's getting me down feeling like this. I want to come off them but I did feel normal again last year from taking them. I take mine At 7.30 in evening n I'm up at 7 but feel so dopey n nauseas it's hard to function properly.

Should I back down to 10mg? How long will they take to work?

I was on them nearly a year before I had a week off so why is it taking so long for them to get back in my system and work?

• Posted

Hello

​I have read your posts very carefully and I really think you have too many side effects to continue on Amitriptyline....there are other drugs you can try. You really need to talk further with your GP about this. Obviously at this moment in time they are not being helpful to you so you need to reassess and find something that will do the job of making you feel better and cope with pain.?I started on Amitrip and after 3 weeks (although it just started to kick in and ease my pain level) this drug suddenly triggered a very rare side effect and I had to immediately come off them. Next I was given Gabapenten to try but for me the side effects were too much and then I started on Pregabalin which has dealt with my overwhelming pain issues very well with only dry mouth and some dizziness; also memory issues as side effects. All of these drugs have side effects which differ from patient to patient but unless your GP offers you alternatives you will not know whether one of them will work better for you than the one you are on.

I wish you well in your quest and do hope your GP is receptive to change.

• Posted

It worked so well, I decided to try and stop!

Thought I was cured.

Other issues and further surgery kicked everything off

again, and I have added Acupan (Nefapam), a non opoid

drug, as it's kidney friendly and you can still drive. It blocks

pain signals to brain apparently. However, regarding

nausea, and dizzy spells, these are listed side effects, but

I have so many meds, I take 3 antihistamines a day to

counteract allergic rashes, and sensitivity. One last thought,,

Is this a different brand or manufacturer, as medicine is

same but these latest amitriptyline are much darker

blue, where previous packs had more grey pills. Could you

be allergic?

• Posted

Hi no wouldn't be allergic I have always taken the blue pills I'm going to lower my dosage from tonight and also take magnesium and see how I get on

• Posted

If I was you ,try the 10mg ,but  I was on 10mg for baldder pain syndrome for that long, went off it because had had lot of stress and not sleeping, Dr had to put me on serepax as  i tsarted having panick attacks...reckon it was the withdrawal..don"t know but it was good for my bladder problems.

Think it takes 2 0r 3 weeks to take effect.So after that on 10mg if you are no better go off it...and if you get worse see a Dr.

Hard to find Dr who helps these sort of problems. All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.