Situational anxiety and depression...I've been on Zoloft for 2 weeks. I am only taking 12.5 mg.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Does anyone have a similar story. I have been taking a half dose of Zoloft for 2 weeks. I had taken lexapro for years and went off of it. Life handed me some big stressors of late and when I tried lexapro again I had awful depression. I was prescribed Zoloft. I have hot flashes and sleeplessness as well as increased anxiety when I am triggered by negative thoughts. Does it get better? I feel like my mind won't stop focusing on negative.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hang in there it does take a long time think of the happy things. you need PMA aswel I find and keep active. It's helped me a lot I'm week 10 and started feeling better week 5 got better n better still have bad days but still early try upping your does that's a very low dose bear with the side affects also

• Posted

Thanks for your comments. I agree with staying active. I had been competing in triathlon for years and was always training. When this hit, I stopped exercising cold turkey and I think that's contributed to my chemical imbalance.

• Posted

That's a very tiny dose, and you haven't been on it long enough to feel any benefits yet. It does take time, and the start up effects can be bad, but they won't last forever. I'd say to keep at it for at least 6 to 8 weeks. Increased anxiety is definitely one of the side effects, along with a variety of others, when starting the med. Most people don't get all of the potential start up effects, but heightened anxiety does seem to be a common one.

Since your dose is so small, I do wonder if you'll benefit from it, but only time will tell. Keep in mind that you'll feel side effects each time the dose is increased, but eventually you'll find the right dosage for you.

Perhaps your doctor can give you something that will help with the increased anxiety, and sleeplessness until you level out on the Zoloft.

• Posted

Thanks. I'll stay with it for awhile. Believe it or not, I even started at 6mg. And worked up to 12.5 just a few days ago. I think stopping exercise has contributed too. I used to train a lot and stopped abruptly. Feeling a big chemical imbalance and just long for feeling joyful again.

• Posted

Wow, I've never heard of such a tiny dose. 😊There's no doubt that stopping exercise abruptly had some affect on your mental health. All the chemicals in the body are probably wondering what to do now. lol

Were you exercising a lot when you were on Lexapro?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.