Total Knee Replacement

Posted , 8 users are following.

Had replacement 6 days ago and was expecting general pain for a while post surgery. However, what I'm experiencing when using crutches is excruciating. When standing up I get surface pain across my knee and down shin that feels like sandpaper is being rubbed and down, as though  the skin is being stretched. Years ago I had a large burn on the side of my leg that gave the same sensation when I stood up. Is it down to the bruising which is still coming out and how long will it continue? Only taking paracetamol or codeine in between anti infalamtories. 

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I would suggest a much stronger painkiller....I'm surprised your doc didn't prescribe something stronger as you probably need painkillers for 6 to 8 weeks...depending on your recovery.

• Posted

I think we all underestimated the pain

It does get better. I am 5 months post op now and still get pain at times. It can take a year or more to be fully recovered

I took paracetamol + codein every four hours with ibruprofen in between

Good luck in your recovery

• Posted

I'm surprised that you're only having paracetamol and codeine.  It really is major surgery and is fairly brutal surgery. I would definitely be asking for stronger pain meds. Sorry to say but you've probably got a lot more ahead of you. It's going to improve though it will take some time. 

• Posted

"...expecting general pain for a while post surgery."  For a while???  If "a while" means torture for the first few months whith it abating by 6 months and then still lingering at the one year mark, you'd be absolutely correst.  To expect anything else is downright delusional.

This is the most painful surgery on the planet and it takes a loooooong time to recover.  Major opioids (Percocet, Vicodin, Norco) plus muscle relaxers (Flexeril) in significant doses for at least the first 4-6 weeks, probably longer.  This should lay it out for you...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

Get rid of everything you "thought" would happen...only gets you angry and depressed.  Be prepared for "the long haul".  I'm almost 9 months post op and I'm still dealing with issues.  I've heard of a few people beating this in a matter of a month or two...rare exceptions.

• Posted

Gee Chico I wish I was 9 months post op. I'm off meds and my Chiro says I'm doing well for 8 weeks. My problem is having walked badly for so many years my leg muscles have atrophied....thigh and lower leg. Had a walk on the beach in soft sand last week end my fibula shifted forward...very painful. Has anyone else experienced the problem? Anyway a good shove from the Chiro sorted then issue...painfully! Got a stern warning to avoid the beach for a while 😊.

• Posted

OMG! I sooo love your reply and how you've worded it. They should ask people to read this before posting any questions as you're absolutely correct in everything you've said. People expect so much following this surgery and I was no exception. I was going to be running a marathon in a month post my tkr. Ha ha ha! "Delusional" so correct. I'm now almost 7 months post op and have learnt to expect nothing anymore and go from day to day, week to week. This way I cope with the bad days. The good days are increasing but gradually. 

This site is fab for giving you peace of mind though .

• Posted

Some people masy take "delusional" as a criticism...it's not.  It's actually a true description of their state of mind.  We've ALL been through that stage.  Looking back, we know how true that is.  Even at my stage, I thought I could cut the recovery short...what a mistake...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/patient-heal-thyself--548806

It's very humbling...

• Posted

Are you icing frequently? Ice is your best friend and as far as doing a lot at 6 days.....you are finding what most find.....its too much. Get to the basics...pa in meds on schedule......exercise but make sure you are known or inducing severe pain. Hurt, yes; pain, no. Hydrate to the excess. You have been through a traumatic situation. Anasthesia, blood loss, nerve damage and a general invasion of your system has taken place. Dont expect too much too quick. Stay steady. As I mentioned....hydrate. A dehydrated, stringy, soft tissue system will Bothell as efficiently as a well hydrated one. Dr's don't tell you about this phase because unlike you and those you will meet on here, they haven't been through it personally. Do everything you can to make yourself comfortable and rest every chance you can, your body and brain needs it. If your pain meds aren't doing the job.....talk to your primary care doc. Generally they know more about pain abatement than surgeons.

Hang tough.....its a long roller coaster ride back to solid ground

• Posted

As usual...auto correct helped when I didn't need help. The nonword Bothell should have said won't heal.

• Posted

Thanks for this, agree ice packs are my friend, really do give some relief. Spoke with nurse from hospital and advised to take  2 paracetamol and 2 codeine together every 4 hours whether I need or not and the anti infalamtories in between. This in itself is having an impact already. Thanks
    • Posted

Haha - auto correct is my nemesis !! At least it didn't say brothel lol.

• Posted

That's really loading up the paracetamol which can damage your kidneys. You'd be better taking recommended dosages of a stronger drug like tramadol. Sorry I know she's a nurse but I wouldn't do that. If I were you I'd see my GP about

• Posted

Sorry - didn't mean to post the previous response..  That's really loading up the paracetamol which can damage your kidneys. You'd be better taking recommended dosages of a stronger drug like tramadol. Sorry I know she's a nurse but I wouldn't do that. If I were you I'd see my GP about better pain control.  Be prepared to fully explain the pain level to your GP as some don't see many patients post TKR. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.