Injections in knees

Posted , 9 users are following.

HELP !! My poor Hubby might have to see the Rheumatology team soon with a view to having injections in his knees, as he has suffered years & years of pain hes got no cartiallge behind the knee caps/ Has anyone out there had injections before? We would like to know views on this please . Hes also got back problems with Osteo-arthritis. Hes dreading the whole thing. Regards Amanda

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I haven't had it yet but I'm waiting to get MRI and then I'm having it I hope if they think it will help, my friend had it done a couple of times to get him past 60 while waiting for knee replacement, he had it done this year at 67 so it must have worked.

I'm told it doesn't hurt if thats what he is scared of but let me know

• Posted

My husband gas had them several times, it's over in minutes, and it's no where near as bad as people think.

you can feel pain free within 2 days, and they some times the injections last fir at least a year.

some doctors are able to do it, our can not, so he refers us to a doctor couple of mikes away who is authorised to do them.

dont worry, just look forward to him getting rid of the pain.

• Posted

Hi Amanda,

If he's having steroid injections,they can work and help for months, and they can keep repeating them.

They aren't all that bad, it's a really thin needle, and don't hurt really.

It's fear of the unknown.

• Posted

Go see a good ortho for SynVisc injections (set of three...days 1, 8 and 15).  They can last up to a year.  SynVisc One (single shot) lasts up to six months.  Worked great for me for many, many years.
  • Posted

Been getting synvisc injections for 11 years. Every 6 months I get the 3 injection series. Works great for me.
    • Posted

Hi,Thanks for you're reply.We are waiting for an appointment to see the Rheumatology Team, I though I would just see what people think.My Hubby has been on so many meds for Level arthritis.Hes not allowed anything that's anti inflammatory.Are steroids anti inflammatory? They might review all his medication as this would be great.! To be honest,he is hoping that the injection S will be he last resort.Hes also deaf & severely sighted & suffers with poor mobility.Hes been like this for many years.Thank you all for your reply.regards Amanda

• Posted

Yes. Stuff like cortisone is a anti inflammatory. Synvisc is a replacement therapy. Like a lube job. Helps cushion the joint. I got them for 10 years before I had to change docs. Old one retired. New doc used a freeze spray before the injection.after having it done so long to, kinda makes you not think about it. I figure I gave had over 66 injections in that knee just for synvisc.
    • Posted

Steroids aren't the same as anti inflammatories.

Are you in the US? I'm not sure a that here in the UK the Syncisc is available, not under that name.

I'm on anti inflams, and had steroids, also have osteo arthritis in spine and hips

• Posted

I was saying cortisone is a anti inflammatory steroid. It's usually what they try to push in people's knees

• Posted

What is synvisc? Maybe it's used over here , if it's been used in USA for 10 years.

If it's injectable, maybe that's what Amanda means, not steroid injections.

• Posted

SynVisc...think "synthetic viscosity"...as above, a "lube job".  It adds fluid to the joint so the bones don't rub together,  Google SynVisc...been around a very long time.

• Posted

Ah! Just googled and looks as though it's only available privately over here.

• Posted

It's made from the crown of a rooster. I looked it up in my medical records. First time I got it was February 2006

• Posted

Thanks both, our medical systems are so different, it's not approved by NICE, should think it's to do with the cost.

• Posted

It is also marketed by others under a different name. Not sure who tho. My brother just started getting it. They call it something else

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.