Will PIP affect my SDA

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am on DLA and SDA and have applied for the new PIP but no one has mentioned if this will affect my SDA. Please can anyone tell me? 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kaydi,

It may 'trigger' a change from Severe Disablement Allowance (SDA) to Employment and Support Allowance.

I am assuming you were overlooked on your Severe Disablement Allowance (SDA) which should have changed to Incapacity Benefit in April 2001, and has changed again to Employment and Support Allowance.

Are you sure it is Severe Disablement Allowance (SDA), and not Severe Disability Premium (SDP) which is an add-on?

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

I think you're talking about SDP and not SDA. If you're awarded PIP then it will continue as long as you meet the criteria.

• Posted

The SDP will on.y continue for as long as a claimant is entitled to the enhanced rate care component of PIP.  If it drops to standard rate or is lost altogether, the. The SDP of income related ESA will stop.
    • Posted

Hi Pam, you're wrong with this. It's not just Enhanced rate it's both rates of daily living PIP. I recieve SDP and claim IR ESA and Standard Daily living PIP.

• Posted

My apologies Denise, you're right.  I'm thinking  of the enhanced disability premium which is payable for those in receipt of SDP or income based ESA and also receive enhanced rate PIP or DLA.  Sorry guys.

• Posted

No worries Pam smile we all make mistakes. The advice you normally give really is first class! SDP is very confusing. With the enhanced disability premium those that are in the Support Group income related ESA also automatically qualify. No PIP or DLA award is needed if in the Support Group.

• Posted

I think you're referring to severe disability premium which is paid as part of income related ESA if you also receive the enhanced rate care component of DLA.  Provided you receive the enhanced rate care component of PIP you will continue to qualify for SDP.  If your PIP entitlement changes to a lower rate of care you will lose this premium.  Hope this clarifies

• Posted

As said above, it's not just Enhanced rate of PIP. It's any part of Daily living PIP.

• Posted

Thanks everyone, I was unaware SDA had changed. I get very confused with all these initials and just knew I was awarded SDA about 16 years ago. I was told my PIP claim will take 4 weeks but hopefully I will get it and it's good to know the SDA will be included. I admit I don't read the letters I receive about the benefits as I find it too much to take in so I was probably informed of the SDA changing. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.