Spinal surgery increase risk for fibromyalgia?

Posted , 5 users are following.

In 2006 I had a spinal surgery. I had compression at my neck,so I had an implant of cadaver bone & a screw. In 2008 I developed SEVERE fibromyalgia. My surgeon had warned me of it, he said he'd seen an increase in fibromyalgia in patients who had this surgery. Was wondering if this applies to anyone else on this forum? I take gabapentin. 300 mgs FIVE times a day. If I take it in larger doses 2 or 3 times a day, it does not work. Taking it every 4-5 hrs seems to work very well to control any flares. Has anyone else tried this?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You must have read my comments. I too have a lot of pain but found after years on Gaba 5800mg daily it gave me more pain than I have without it. Since June 23, 2016 I dumped many medications. The pain I have now is much more tolerable than the effects of the Gaba. The withodrawal took months and I am finally feeling good and sleep much better albeight waking up often with pain. I have begun taking MJ indica tincture, two droppers full at bedtime and sleep 5-6 hours a night vs 30 minutes here and therre. I do not take during the day as it makes me lethargic. Even with it during the day my mind is much clearer than on the Gaba. I moved from Seattle back to New Mexico a month ago and now the cold has been causing me more problems.The neck fusion of C5-6-7 seems to be bothering me the most but with the tincture I am tolerating it. The doctor gave me 5mg Oxycodone and 1000mg tylenol for the discomfort but gain I don't take it during the day. I can keep busy during the day to keep my mind off the pain but the neuropathy in my feet is spastic. I will never go back to gaba again. I think the two months of withdrawal cold turkey woke me up to medications. This past week I saw a Clinical Nurse Practitioner at the VA who is a naturalist and she recommended Gumi bear melatonin at bedtime. Within 30 minutes I was asleep and slept 4 hours straight through. I will kepp taking it but I am afraid I may build a tolerance and have rebound effects when I stop, we'll see. Stay in touch. Clifton

• Posted

Yes..taken in smaller doses closer together does increase effects. I don't know if it is recommended to do so but does work..

• Posted

Hi robin64908, I read on another post that said a hifh sodium diet did not mix well with gabapentin so I have reduced my sodium intake (closest i can get to the daily recommended amiunt) and I have to agree that it's much more tolerable. I also notice that maintaining a healthy habits such as drinking plenty of water daily, no skipping meals, no over eating and trying to take my doses at the same time every day has been beneficial as well. Prior to making changes I was feeling so weird after taking gabapentin and it did take about a week for me to feel the difference. I am still in the middle stage and will be increasing dosage again tomorrow so I will wait to see how my body tolerates the increase. Wishing you all the best smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.