colds, bee stings, poison ivy

Posted , 9 users are following.

Has anyone noticed that RA symptoms largely disappear when you have a cold, or a bee sting, or poison ivy?

I had an interesting discussion about this with my rheumatologist. He told me that a cold definitely causes remission and that they know why. But it is too dangerous to try to cause the same effect with drugs.

The same thing happens when I get a bee sting or poison ivy. I had my rheumatologist in stitches one day when I told him I was going to roll through a bed of poison ivy. What a trade-off.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

very interesting! have you came across any research on this? I'd like to know more

• Posted

hi Timothy.

in nearly 30 years of RA, I can count on one hand how many times I've had a cold. every time a blessing. before RA I was a regular sufferer of colds. I never told anyone that apart from my mother. in case they thought I was mad. now in time, i realised they think that of me anyways so I tell anyone who listens. how wonderful if I could have a permanent cold.

take care , Ivan.

• Posted

You would have to bulk buy your tissues lol

• Posted

hello sukes me dearest.

actually I'm a man who likes to pride himself on forward planning. at last count I've 6 packs of toilet tissue (18 in pack) which ill use as hankies.) you can never be to sure can you... anyway between me and you, have you checked out the "debate" on "the other channel" as I call it. if you get my drift. very interesting. heating up somewhat. take care sukes. Ivan.x

• Posted

I have noticed this and always imagined that my immune system had something more interesting to do for a while and therefore left my joints alone!  Paradoxically, although being on drugs that suppress the immune system, I rarely catch the common cold despite working with coughing and sneezing children.
  • Posted

This is the most interesting thing I have read concerning RA. Unfortunately I have not had a cold so I haven't been able to try it out, for some reason I don't get colds. Now about poison ivy, very subseptable.  I did get poison lvy this spring and that stuff spread from a little spot on my hand to down my legs and my backside.  I think I was trying so hard to find a way to clear it up and to keep it from spreading that I was not paying attention as to how my RA was doing.  Took weeks to clear up even though I am on prednisone.  Hope I don't have it again, lol.

• Posted

I have not researched it  but I recall that some medical studies were  done and they were having patients be stung by bees to iimprove their condition.  It may have been arthritis, and it may have been years ago that bees were used to improve some medical problem.  You peaked my interest so I am going to check it out.  I have had many episodes of very prolonged cases of poison ivy but that was pre RA

Very funny about rolling in poison ivy--now I won't go that far!

• Posted

I did look it up and it was called bee venom immunotherapy --found on webMD

Stated used for RA, MS among other medical conditions.   I didn't read thru the whole article.  With so many drugs available for those diseases today not sure if really used much today but very interesting 

• Posted

Has anyone came across any information that having a cold helps RA? I found quit a bit on bee venom and will discuss this with my Rhuemy. I don't think I want to get poison ivy! LOL

• Posted

I saw a news story some years back about a fella with arthritic knees, I assume osteo, he collected centerpedes and regularly encouraged them to sting his knes.   He stated the relief was almost immediate.
    • Posted

Actually, this is a reply to all of you who have commented on my original message. This has been the posting for which I have had the most fun.....and we all could use some of that. I have been fascinated by this phenomenom and am gratified to see that some of you have expereienced the same thing. 

That is what I love about this website.....we communicate!

The best to all of us, and may we never lose sight of the big picture.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.