Extraction Problems

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had my 2 molar top left extracted at my local dentist because i had a large cavity that was down to the pulp he attempted to fill this a week prior because of painfull tooth ache but the pain returned 10 times worse after the filling so i went back and had the tooth extracted 2 days ago.

During the extraction the dentist gave me 3 injections 2 into the gum and 1 in the roof of my mouth after 15 minutes he tried to extract the tooth he was pulling for about 20 second before i told him to stop as i felt so much pressure in the top jaw he stopped for a few seconds then tried again but i said to stop again as i could feel pain he gave me another 2 injections waited a minute then started again after about 30 seconds of pulling it came out.

It has now been 48 hours and all the left side of my face is still swollen and tender i can just about talk and i have been eating baked beans on the other side of my mouth i did not eat for the first 18 hours or so and i have been gently rinsing my mouth out with warm salt water 3 - 5 times a day, i am a smoker and did my best to go the 48 hours without smoking but i gave in and had a roll up after 30 hours. I am experiencing pain in the left side of my face mainly the top jaw and in my gums.

Looking at the extraction site the socket looks fully clotted but has gone to a brown colour with specs of yellow, white and red.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Try an ice pack on the outside ofvyour face...the extraction sounded barbaric...smoking can causecdry socket...which is even more painful...
  • Posted

When i woke this morning i had a black tongue and the smells getting worse. I rinised out my mouth and brushed my tounge after rinising i noticed a part of the clot and came out but the socket still looks fully clotted so i am unsure.

The swelling is still there but has gone down a bit and still have a slight stiffness in my gum and jaw.

Here is a picture of the socket now.

https://i.imgsafe.org/5a2581de34.jpg

• Posted

I did go back to emergency dentist 2 days ago they said it looked ok and the clot was still in the hole. I still have swelling and mild discomfort the swelling has gone down alot but there is still some swelling but its been 5 days any idea how long swelling lasts and also still how a fowl smell in mouth ?
    • Posted

it could be a couple of more weeks.

try gargling with salt water.

and ice will help bring the swelling down.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.