Reclast yearly infusion or daily risedronate tablets?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm trying to decide which to take: a yearly infusion of biophosphonates such as Reclast or a daily tablet of risedronate? (I've been offered either due to my personal health circumstances.)

Can anyone advise which they have found better? I'm wary of the tablets due to stomach issues I already have. But I'm wary of the yearly infusion since once you've had it, you're committed to any side-effects which i'm worried might last a full year!

Any personal experience on either route would be so helpful. Thanks!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

The annual infusion sounds very unwise as it would be in your system for a year out of your control. If it did not suit you there would be nothing you could do about it.

May I ask your tscores and whether you have tried any natural things like vitamins and exercise?

Vitamin K2 is one people are espousing as being very beneficial.

You will get a lot of responses from people who are trying that route and some are even saying they have been successful.

Another thing I have noticed is that people who have mild osteoporosis are being prescribed the drugs that are anything but mild.

I do take a range of drugs but have decided that this group are far too dangerous to take.

The decision of course lies with the individual and people's circumstances vary hence their choices.

My tscores average out to -3.4 and the worst one at the base of the spine is -4.3 but I refuse these drugs.

• Posted

I know you aren't asking whether or not you should take this drug, but which form you should take it in.  I know you will get responses form peole who have taken the drugs.  However I agree with Kathleen that a less drastic more natural route is far safer.  But of course we don;t know your personal circumstances.  I understand that the osteoporosis drugs should only be used by people who have extreme osteoporosis.  Moreover they are less effective the older one is.  

I personally have opted for the natural route although being on long term steroid treatment for polymyalgia meant my doctor was strongly urging me to take OP meds.  cool

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.