Got horrible Mirena IUD removed three years ago. Since then chronic BV, yeast infections, and UTI's

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey all. I apologize for the length of this post but I don't know what to do anymore.

Three years ago I got my Mirena removed because I started getting 24 hour a day panic attack like symptoms. I had gone to countless doctors who couldn't figure out what was wrong. Bed ridden and losing my mind, I finally caved and got it removed. My symptoms started lessening that very week.

Shortly after it was removed I started getting BV. I thought it was because my body was adjusting and my hormones were leveling out. Wrong. Since then it's been countless vaginal issues, usually occurring around ovulation and my period, but not exclusively.

I've tried the medications. I wipe front to back. I've tried sugarless diets. I don't douche, use anything that's not organic or that has dyes and perfumes. I wear only cotton underwear I buy every 6 months. I use a mild laundry detergent. I have tried everything.

About two months ago I had a colonoscopy for my IBS and the doctor told me everything is fine but that I should take a probiotic. I started one and I don't know if it's correlated but now I have a constant, ongoing yeast infection on top of the BV and now a UTI. He says the probiotic isn't causing it, but I've had doctors be dead wrong before.

I think it's important to note that about a year after the removal of the IUD I was diagnosed with mild hypothyroidism and have been on a small dose of Levothyroxine since then. I was also prescribed Clonazepam for the lingering anxiety/ panic physical issues I was having for years. It isn't until recently, when I was on the probiotic for a couple of months that my anxiety went away. Maybe it's coincidence but I think my stomach, mind, and body feels better on it.

I'm at my wits end. I've been with the same man since before I even got the IUD. He's amazing and supportive but these issues get in the way. I don't know what to do anymore and no doctor seems to either. I don't want to live the rest of my life like this.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Maybe you should try a diffrent probiotic, one that helps with vaginal issues. Although i dont the probiotic is the problem. But you can try and chaffing to see if it helps solve some of the issues you are having. Other than that it seems like youre doing everything right but how is your diet?? Do you ready Healthy foods or junk foods
  • Posted

Hmmm maybe u should stop taking the probiotic for a couple days and see uf your symptoms subside. Do you take vitamins as well?? Lack of vitamins can be the cause i would advise you to take cranberry juice as well
  • Posted

Im thinking this could be hormonal did u get on a different birth control after mirena iUD?
    • Posted

Mirena was the last birth control I tried. I tried many types of the pill before that and had bad experiences with each brand (around 6 brands). I've been birth control free since the Mierna came out of me. 

I'm wondering if maybe it's something my fiance has? Can he get tested for BV and yeast?

• Posted

When I bought the probiotics from walmart, I started getting yeast infections and a UTI also! I switched probiotics immediately and they stopped. I am now taking Rephresh probiotics and they are the best so far. They cut all symptoms within the hour of taking it. Of course after 3 weeks I had up my dosage to 6 a day. It's like I am fighting this infection and it's wins every time. 

Have you had a full panel of blood work done? Sometimes BV is caused due to deficiency of Vit D. I would recommended switching probiotics. 

• Posted

Thanks! Yeah, I've had bloodwork done and I'm apparently fine. I'm going to try probitoics and vitamin D. 

• Posted

I feel so sorry you are going through all that, but just know that been in any type of antibiotics open ups your body to catch any bacteria infections , yeast infections, urinary trac infections and the worse fungus because antibiotics in the hopes of helping are killing all the good bacteria inside your flora also raising the chances of never getting cured again because you keep killing any good bacteria.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.