Hardware block

Posted , 4 users are following.

I just had a hardware block today .Had no pain relief pain got worse  I told  the Dr so pain did not go away  and he said then it is not the hardware and that I am still healing and we will see the CT at 6 months  he use lidocaine and cortisol  he said that the cortisol will not affect the bone growth .  I am not sure what to think about the hole thing . It it was the hardware at less I know what is the problem now left  thinking that the fusion might have failed  Revision surgery for l3l4 on 7/6/16 is called Olif go in from the side and then posterior for the rods and screws. first surgery for l3l4 was 10/27/15 was a Tlif posterior

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear your having a crap time of it, Iv had an l4/5 fussion with hardware 13 years ago and suffered since but I have faucet joint injections with pain management and they definitely help, I suffered for 9 years and had no clue this was even available, there's nothing worse but keep on at the docs until you find something that works for you, don't over do it and rest when you can, have you tried NSAIDs they may help with pain relief if the area is inflamed, good luck Richard I hope you get some answeres

• Posted

I been told by two different surgeon s that nsaids affected bone growth and not to take them yet i am 5months post surgery
    • Posted

a hardware block is a injection at the screws and rods with lidocaine and cortisol if the pain goes away then the hardware is the cause of the pain it works in a few 2min
    • Posted

Ah ok, when I was offered faucet joint injections they said that if it didn't work then the joints wouldn't be the cause of my pain but they do so it is so I'm wandering if this may be the case for you as I know others with the same, a fusion is a serious opp and not to be taken lightly, I'm under going tests with rheumatology as now after 13 years they think I may have inflamitory arthritis which can be brought on through trauma i.e. Opp, however you are still relatively new out of surgery and I guess time will tell, they say 12-24 months for full recovery, however knowledge is power and maybe it's something to mention further down the line if things don't improve, hopefully you'll settle but if not then at least it's an avenue to be explored sooner rather than 10years down the line

• Posted

Hi Richard

Firstly sorry to hear your having issues.

You say they have given you a hardware block, is this where they inject around the rods and bolts.?? If so I am 99.9% confident enough to tell you that your Dr is just trying to come up with nonsense solutions ( this is my view before I upset anyone). Injecting around the hardware doesn't work, once injected the stuff they use to see if it will ease pain will just be washed around and wouldn't stick to the equipment, it's not the same as having it directly injected in to a disc or epidural space.

You are what just over 1 yr recovering from the fusion, i had mine done in 2014, and knew 8 months in the fusion had failed, not saying yours has just I also know people that it's taken nearly 2 yrs for there fusion to take and most of the pain had gone.

Where do you live as it differes all over what people are told and other options.??

Not sure if i missed it but what pain are you having??

Regards

George (UK)

• Posted

Well it has been 5months since the revision surgery and as far as the medication it is the tissue around the screws that is what could be pretty much what i was told I am in the USA Florida
  • Posted

Very sorry to hear this story. Injections never seemed to work for me .

a epidural has in the past but only a few a year is considered safe .

Heeling prayers sent ur way!

Hopexxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.