Questions if anyone has had similar experiences on citalopram

Posted , 4 users are following.

I started citalopram a few years ago when my anxiety randomly started acting up for the first time. Alost a year later, I weaned off of it and did well for two years... even went on a plane to Dominican last January with no instances where I had to take prns.

My nerves started acting up a bit again when I started school this September, and since winter is coming and always has given me some anxiety I got a new prescription.

I started out on 10mg for a week, taking in the eve. I was a little anxious to start a pill again, but mostly found that my stomach wasn't necessarily nauseated but felt off in the morning and through the night. Because of this I switched it almost a week ago to the full dose as prescribed (20mg) and started taking it in the morning.

What I'm noticing is almost that my nerves are worse out of no where for no general reason, keep getting super hot across my chest. I've been able to calm myself each time luckily. I also have woken earlier in the mornings and had a harder time falling asleep in the eve, but I'm not sure if it's because I'm on evening shifts these two weeks or not, however usually I sleep the whole night maybe with light interruptions. I currently woke at 0430 and felt again that weird pitting in my stomach, I've been taking tecta with my pill so don't know why it's upsetting it. I then got very anxious and hot all over for no apparent reason, so I got up and tried not to wake my husband and moved to sleep on the couch where it's a little cooler.

It's only been two weeks on the medication again, and I am aware it takes about a month to adjust. I only remember last time I took it being super fuzzy-headed an hour or so after for the first while though, not an increase in anxiety. I'm just curious if anyone else has had side effects such as mine and they did go away? I would prefer to not have to change my prescription when I know citalopram worked great for me last time I was on it during school.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I get an upset tummy, an that annoys although I have been on my medications for a long time now. Citalopram for about ten years.

Stick with it hopefully all will sort out soon, if not chat to your GP

BOB

• Posted

Leewolfia

I am similar to yourself I was on cip 2 years ago and then took myself off. Now I am back on them and its day 11 and yes its hard. I have upset tummy, anxiety up including thoughts which I hate. Some days are better then others. My GP said I need to keep going...its hard with christmas coming up.

• Posted

I'm exactly the same. This is my third time on citalopram. I hate the first few weeks of it but I stick with it as I know it works so well in the end. I would prefer to stay on it for life as every time I have come off it within 6 months to a year I am back in an anxious state again worrying about everything and not living a full life. The increased anxiety in the first couple of weeks is almost unbearable but we will get there and feel ourselves again. X

• Posted

I appear to be adjusting a bit more finally (: haven't woken anxious for a couple days, and stomach appears more settled. Thank goodness!

I'm hoping once I'm close to done school I can wean off of it again, and then not consider being on anything unless I need it again when I am pregnant or something... I worry a lot about having to take meds when I'm pregnant. I can't tell if I will be happy as can be or if my mind will go into overwork mode and I will be anxious and need to be on something, hopefully the first option..!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.