Day 5 of Lexapro - Feeling more depressed and anxious...

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hoping that posting on here will help ease some of my anxieties. My GP prescribed me 10mg of Lexapro (after my Therapist recommended I started some sort of mediciation) and he suggested starting out with 5mg for the first week since I was feeling sick to my stomach on 10mg. I am on day 5 of 5mg and wake up feeling SO anxious and even more depressed. I usually call my Mom and boyfriend crying every morning.

I am normally really senstive when it comes to medicine so I am nervous to up the dose to 10mg. I have read that feeling more anxious is normal but this doesn't feel normal to me. I feel so hopeless and discouraged.

I have been dealing with depression since my Dad passed away 4 years ago. Within the next two years I lost my Grandparents, Uncle and then my Mom was diagnosed with Cancer. I have recently hit a really low point in life and talk therpay helps but I wanted to try medicaiton. 

Maybe this is just me venting (so thanks to anyone who reads this) but I would love to hear some encouragement and maybe some insight on when this increased anxiety will wear off. 

Thanks!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm on day 5 of 2.5 mg and my emotions have been a little up and down also and I've had a little dizziness and upset stomach. I'm sensitive to medication also but what we're experiencing seems to be normal reactions to starting the medication and should get easier as the days go by. Sorry about all the losses in your family and I hope it gets easier for both of us on the medication soon!

• Posted

Thank you! Just curious, do you plan on upping your dose any time soon? My doctor wants me to up mine to 10mg this weekend. Thinking I might try doing 7.5mg for a week to try and ease myself up more to the full 10mg. 
  • Posted

Hi sorry to hear u feeling not good, but is happhend to be as well . Upsetting stomach and more depressed but after 2 -3 weeks u will feel much better . For me first 2 weeks I didn't eat noothing but now I'm getting better . Get well soon .

Kevin

• Posted

Thanks tikkakaya and I'm hoping that I'll get through these first couple weeks ok it's just so tough when you have to work everyday and deal with feeling like crap. I'm trying hard to stick it out because I've seen a lot of positive effects for people and I could really use some positive moments in my life as the depression and anxiety has really taken over my life..

• Posted

Thank you for the reply! It def. helps knowing that it takes some time and that you are feeling better now. I need to be more patient, it has just been a rough 5 days. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.