Anxiety and Tension (Legs / Jaw)

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello,

After some advice please.

So for the last few months I have had really bad muscle tension. Mainly legs and tension headaches. Nothing will shift this at all. The headaches last week's and my legs are so tense it's a struggle to walk sometimes.

I have tried swimming, cycling (offers some relief once the pain settles), painkillers, yoga, muscle soak baths etc.

I know it's Anxiety causing it, I tense up constantly in my sleep and clench my jaw a lot. I am exhausted when I wake up, sometimes it feels like i have been boxing in my sleep!

My anxiety symptoms are there pretty much all day. Tight chest, tense, shake's, dizzy spells, faint feeling. I have learnt to live with it but there is no let up! I am a lot better than I have been panic attack wise in the past but it's been almost 6 months since now and it's getting beyond frustrating.

My doctor thinks that Sertraline will help, if I can control the anxiety my body might recover a bit from the constant stress / tension it's under. I am just scared of the adjustment period really.

I have spoken to my manager about the possibility of needing time off if I am bad but he isnt very empathetic towards anxiety and depression rolleyes

Has anyone been prescribed Sertraline for stress / tension before?

I have been diagnosed with GAD and mild depression and really hope Sertraline works wonders (tried Fluoxetine which was dreadful).

Thank you

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Thomas smile

I'm sorry it's not easing for you.

I read your post three times and I got the same message each time:

"I'm doing everything but the anxiety won't get better. There must be something wrong."

Firstly...fighting it is your first problem and probably the leading cause to your bodies wear and tear. You are doing all the right things to help with anxiety - but thy cannot fight it.

Exorcise, muscle soaks, everything you have listed is all to there to help you cope...to make you feel a little better, a little easier, even if it is just a tiny bit.

But they are not cures. I think you need to do what I am trying now and to accept anxiety.

You say you love with it - but it is so frustrating. This means you're fighting it. No wonder you are so exhausted.

Stop fighting. Let your feelings be and let your body be.

You have a dizzy spell - you know why. You ache - you know why.

You've made huge improvements by stating that these are anxiety symptoms. Now allow yourself time to accept that fully. Once you accept, these things will be neither scary nor frustrating. Your muscles will relax a little.. The symptoms will ease.

As for Sertraline, I took this and personally I could not get on with it. Many people can, however, but again you will need to be patient with it.

As someone who has taken two different types of SSRI's, I will say this: they are not cure all's... I must warn you that. They DO take the edge off.

But until you tackle your anxiety it will not ease in the way you want it to. I really, really recommend therapy for you.

To talk through this with someone, to learn Coping strategies and to stop fighting your feelings...this would help you better than any tablet or muscle soak.

Therapy can be open ended too...anxiety is something that we have to manage our entire lives, I believe. I know this is the case for me. Therapy allows you to practise mindfulness and to declutter your mind. To explore different avenues and to understand yourself better.

If you do choose to take medication, it always works best with therapy combined.

Who knows, you may not need the tablets smile

• Posted

Sorry I meant: "you say that you live with it but it is so frustrating." Not love with it! Silly auto correct.

• Posted

Thank you again Sillymop you always speak sense smile

It just gets frustrating and I agree it has become a daily fight. I often think, I am just over thinking things or focusing on them to much?

I have tried therapy and it got me out of my worst part, it did help a lot. I know my anxiety driver is currently work. I lie awake worrying about the next day, I am physically sick sometimes before going into the office and I get upset before going in and I suppress mild panic attacks all day. I go home and I am often upset and my mood has become really flat. I can't even enjoy a night out with feeling dreadful and having to end it early.

It's a job I have done for 8 years and just can't cope anymore with the negative atmosphere and boring workload. I want to go to work to be challenged, have goals to work toward, accomplish something. Anything however somewhere down the line my job has taken a massive detour and I now I find I am sat with literally nothing to do on some days other than refresh emails hoping for work!.

I would leave but currently can't due to waiting on a house completing (first time buyers) so feeling trapped there tbh.

I suppose now I am just looking for coping mechanisms until I can tackle the problem at hand.

Hence why I am thinking of Sertraline to take the edge off and stop me getting so worked up rolleyes

• Posted

Thomas, you have my sympathy. Having to work somewhere that causes you a great deal of distress is not nice. Not nice at all, especially when you have to stay for personal reasons, such as buying properly.

Firstly, once you are in your new home you do not need to stay with this particular job. Once your

Mortgage is in place and you are in your new home, as long as you can cope financially with a career change you can make that leap. You are not stuck there forever.

Your worry reminded me of a conversation I had with someone once.

He said: "when work causes you tremendous amounts of anguish, the important thing is to have a plan."

Some people have no plan as the endure being bullied and downtrodden. They then lose their belief in themselves due to the mistreatment and dull work and their confidence is dented.

But you mention wanting more challenges, more to tackle...you're ready for the next step. This is so positive.

So...you have your plan: you move. You look for your next place of work.

Having a plan really is half the battle.

Remember: when we are low or lost...desperate or frustrated...now is not forever.

We have options.

• Posted

You sound very knowledgeable, I definitely have a lot to learn. Mindfulness is something I have been researching a lot lately.

I have actually just wrote that plan out on paper and I know it's simple, but it does provide a lot of hope. I just need to put the steps in place now to start with the small changes. I am going to go to the careers centre tomorrow and see what advice they can give. Suppose I can set the ground work now while waiting for the contract to exchange.

This is my first job (only 26) and I have built my comfort zone up so much. I suppose that's been my main reason for just sticking with it. I have worked around my degree, masters and whilst I have progressed in my job, I just feel massively underwhelmed!

I guess your right though, now is not forever. I have wrote that quote down as well.

Thank you very much! smile

• Posted

Hi, I totally get what you are going throu ... I have also been experiencing tension headaches, I grinde my teeth at night, and I clench my jaw constantly.

My anxiety has hit the roof these past 5/6 weeks since undergoing tests and given I have health anxiety, I have been making myself worst, fixating on symptoms, reacting to them and having the most awful, panic attacks where I have felt like I was experiencing a heart attack and a T.I.A on occasions.. been admitted to 3 Emergency Medical Units during this.

I have experienced face numbness, weakness in limbs

Headaches

Frozen jaw

Dry mouth (and what feels like swollen tongue)

Throat discomfort (not swallowing properly)

Eye Migrains

Heart Palpitations

And so so many more symptoms..

As for the Sertraline, I am taking 150mg and I don't feel like they are easing my anxiety at all.. as I'm asthmatic thou, my GP is reluctant to change them, also I have been on so many different anxiety/A/D's in the past and I have experienced rather unpleasant side affects

• Posted

Many anxiety symptoms are caused by people doing things they do not really want to do, ie jobs or situations,   It is the fight or flight response.   Are you happy in your job, is there a lot of stress, are you with someone you dont want to be with.  Sit down and try and think about these things and see if you can get to the bottom of why you feel this way.  
  • Posted

What do your guys tension headache feel like?
    • Posted

It's hard to explain really. It kinda feels like i have a bike helmet on that is way to tight.

It's mainly around my templates and forhead that feels like something is pressing in. I get a lot of pressure around my ears to. It's just a dull ache constantly oppose to the shooting pains you get with migraines.

It's caused by your neck muscles being over tense. The best relief I have found so far is muscle rub and 4head.

Hope this helps

• Posted

That's exactly how I feel daily. And adding to that I also have like this pulsating feeling like I can feel my heartbeat in my head its scary

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.