Awful nausea help please

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was on 16 mg bethahistine which was doubled a couple of weeks ago since Thursday last week I felt extremely sick ever day save 1 I started a different medication to stop the nauseous feeling which worked till last night and again woke up feeling shocking anyone got any ideas to help my ear with tinnitus awful as well.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Assuming that you have Meniere's Disease (please correct me if the diagnosis is different), and if the betahistine appears not to be working, intratympanic steroid injections can be considered.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

I am waiting for balance tests to confirm my balance has deteriorated yes I have meniers so steroids are the next option. Can I ask if the injections will leave me feeling the same in Bo vertigo but nausea and tiredness or should it take all that away? I understand that my tinnitus will remain
    • Posted

The tinnitus may remain (it depends) but everything else should improve.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

I suffered with my for about 12 years.i started getting drop attacks no warning at all.I had a gentimisin injection (which is a steroid) 8 years ago best thing I have ever done,not had an attack since.I lost a bit of my hearing,and Wear an hearing aid and have a grommet.It may be an option for you. I have my life back. Wishing you well.
  • Posted

My consultant, with whom I have just had a review, tells me that betahistine needs at least 4 weeks to work. My experience sounds similar to yours with tinnitus and nauseous episodes continuing after starting beta but the good news is that it did then stop the attacks, improve some of my hearing loss and reduce the tinnitus to a background level. Once free of attacks for 6 months I weaned off betahistine and enjoyed 21 months of remission. When a few months ago I got the warning signs that it was coming back I went straight back on 48mg tds and have since raised this to 64mg tds following a vertigo episode 10 weeks ago. I have been OK at this dose.

As a precaution I always carry Buccastem, Stemetil and Stugeron as "first aid" treatment back up should an attack occur.

• Posted

Thankyou I am on stemitil twice a day St the moment except when I feel extremely sick then I swap to the other medication. But I soon get an attack. It's a horrible illness.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.