Week 11 on an SSRI, running into a few problems.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, I fell into an extremely deep hole and was told to try 20mg paxil. I had the usual side effects, then it all started to kick in after 4 weeks. It took the edge off my depression and anxiety, I actually started to feel alright by week 7. However in week 8 I became very fatigued and a little depressed, so my doctor bumped me from 20 to 30mg in week 9. It helped a little, I was still fatigued. But for the last 2 days (mid week 11) it's all going sour. I have an ear ache, anxiety is back in constant small waves throughout the day, I feel hot, and very sleepy wanting to lie down often. It's not nice at all, I was just wondering what is other peoples experiences with anti-deppresants and what the problem could be. I was doing soo good. Would I need another increase? Is it no-longer working and I may have to try another SSRI? (I cant see the doctor for a few days)

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It may be anxiety caused by your earache, give your medication revised dose going for a bit longer after your ear pain clears.

You could go to the chemist and ask for some ear drops. I use a little bit of warm olive oil on a piece of cotton wool, it seems to work

BOB

• Posted

Absolutely, I will wait a few more weeks. I just saw my brother and he also has an ear ache, along with throwing up and similar symptoms to what I have. I agree that this could have caused my anxiety to break through.

Fingers crossed that it's a little more of a smooth ride from here, or as smooth as recovering fro anxiety and depression can be.

Thank you for commenting. I went to the doctors and he said I need to use drops and I need to go back to get my ears flushed. I have an infection.

• Posted

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. I know exactly how you feel. I have been on 5 different SSRIs and it has taken many years to find the right one. So paxil may not be the right one for you, but of course with any medication you have to wait a few weeks for it to kick in as you know. Even when you higher your dose it takes a while to settle. I've found with all SSRIs they generally all make you feel tired. I've finally found one that works and makes me feel more like myself... its called Sertraline. It's a bit evil when starting them but after about 6 weeks it settles. I also take Diazepam (valium) when I have an anxiety attack... but only when I really need it. Medication isnt going to cure it, have you tried CBT?

• Posted

Yeah I'm setting up CBT either next week or the week after. Things have started settling down today.

My brother showed up today, the last time I saw him was around 5 days ago. He's had an ear ache for a few days as well, except he has been spewing up, with difficulty eating. I've always handled sickness better than my brother, so I've felt bad, and nauseous but haven't been overly sick. This also could have caused my anxiety to break through.

I have Diazapam as well, which I take if it gets really bad. I also have sleeping pills which are rarely used now. I think I will stay on Paxil for a few more weeks as I felt really good today, similar to how I was around week 7. If it all goes well, hopefully I can stick with it as I've heard paxil withdrawals can be an absolutely wonderful experience.

I'm glad you found something that works, fingers crossed I strike lucky first go, and thank you very much for the info and support. Cheers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.