Help - losing my hair and can't get my iron levels up!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ive had anaemia for 4 yrs now. Since I started iron supplements Ive been unable to get my level above 23. I know this is not particularly low but for me, my hair falls out when its at this level and its really upsetting. I started on ferrous gluconate and have tried every prescription iron supplement there is yet my levels just go down or stay the same (despite upping the dose to 1500mg gluconate (yes really!) AND taking hemaplex and other herbal supplements. I dont understand why my body simply wont absorb the iron. I've been tested for Caeliac disease and have no signs of internal bleeding. I also take tranexamic acid to reduce periods but Im so frustrated. Anyone have any suggestions?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, It Is distressing when our health affects our hair! I had the same problem until I discovered the omeprazole I was taking for gastritis inhibits absorption of iron. Wondering if you take anything similar? My low ferritin/iron is caused by heavy periods.

I'm still trying to get my levels up now but it is doing slowly.

Hope you find a way of increasing yours.

• Posted

I have a prescription of Tranexemic acid to try on my next period. Did it help your blood loss?
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. Tranexamic Acid is a lifesaver! No side effects and really works. I do take metformin tablets that affect absorption but my GP still wont send me for a transfusion. Im at my wits end!
    • Posted

My iron levels had to drop to 6 before I got an infusion i.e. Below the range :-(
    • Posted

Its so frustrating when they wont give a transfusion. I have beggged several different GPs at my surgery for this. They have all said they wont do one unless its 7 or below. Anyone know of a good place in London thats not too pricey to get one done privately?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.