Misdiagnosed costochondritis? Please help!

Posted , 5 users are following.

For about 4 months I've been having chest pain, started on the upper right side and then made its way to the left side. It comes and goes, sometimes is extremely painful, other times it's dull and sometimes I have no pain at all. I had one night where the pain was so severe I thought I was having a heart attack, it was insane but I didn't go to the hospital and just slept it off. I went to the doctors the next day and he ordered a chest x-ray and an ecg. They both came up fine, and I was diagnosed with costochondritis. But the one problem is, the main pain with costochondritis is made worse by pressing on the ribcage. But I can press as hard as I possibly can and I feel nothing, no pain. It's also not made worse when I breathe in deeply or move. I already have quite bad anxiety which I have medication for but this makes it worse, I can't go to sleep at night because I think I'm going to die in my sleep. It's awful because I feel deep down that it's not costochondritis, and anyone I tell (doctors, parents) just kind of disregards it because of my previous anxiety history and my age (16). I know I'm terribly young and it's so unlikely to have any heart problems, but it's happens. I also get dizzy and my pulse is sometimes either fast or extremely weak, I don't know what to do. No one will listen to me, can somebody please shed some light on this? Thank you.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ellz,

I have been experiencing some of the same stuff as you. I was diagnosed about 4 weeks ago and it didn't really hurt when I pressed on my ribs or chest either until about this week I noticed it has been a bit more sensitive and I don't always have horrible pain like you read about the symptoms from costochondritis so I'm a bit skeptical too, I also have the racing heartbeat and at times really shallow heartbeat and at times I feel like I can't breathe. I have a lot of discomfort under my left breast it feels like a squeezing pressure type of feeling and I sometimes get little spasms in the same spot. I went to the ER a couple nights ago because the pain was worse the last few days and I wanted to be sure it wasn't serious and another doctor diagnosed me with Costo issues again.

I also have anxiety like you and the anxiety can make it worse. I think that you're probably just fine and I wouldn't worry about your heart because you are so young and you have been checked by your doctor! I've learned some things from writing to ppl on here that you can try...When you feel the pain try to stay calm and you can even keep a little journal of your symptoms so that when u start having them again you can read over that and it might bring a piece of mind having that and knowing the patterns if happens in, but the anxiety will for sure make this all worse! Costochondritis is actually a lot more common in teens as well. I would trust in your doctor for sure and don't hesitate to get checked out just to make sure if it gets worse or you're worried!

• Posted

Sounds like Costochronditis to me. My discomfort moves all over the place, however, the pain is never intense. Just a dull ache. WHen you worry, it makes it worse.
    • Posted

Do you ever have discomfort under ur left breast? Or does breathing in make the discomfort worse or ever hurt?
    • Posted

I actually have intermittent discomfort this morning in my left breast. It feels like it is actually in the breast, however, it is coming from the area behind your breast. If I didn't know what this was, I guess,I would wonder too.

• Posted

i had this diagnosed to menny times to count but they never did no real testing they can do to rule out anything els like a ultrasound mri all i had was a chest x-ray and ct scan and blood work and ekg all normal but i cant reproduce the pain by touching it it comes and goes frequently thru out the day extremely intense feels like your having a heart attack every day feel like a dull feeling pushing on my or for a second or 2 but happens frequently its mostly dull pressure like and once in a while i get a stabbing pain if i move the muscle by my armpit i feel a dull weird movement by my chest and sternum by your heart i feel missed diagnosed and im currently trying to get a ultrasound i had this non stop for almost 1 year now and i been on bed rest that long cuz the pain feel so sever i still think its a heart attack cause where the pain is and how intenced it is doctors are lazy so im a try to push for a ultra sound you just never no and they dont care wat ever makes there job easer i been to the er countless time and they do nothing nm doctors are horrible now and days you got to kinda be your own doctor do your own home work this is constantly miserable pain

• Posted

i had this diagnosed to menny times to count but they never did no real testing they can do to rule out anything els like a ultrasound mri all i had was a chest x-ray and ct scan and blood work and ekg all normal but i cant reproduce the pain by touching it it comes and goes frequently thru out the day extremely intense feels like your having a heart attack every day feel like a dull feeling pushing on my or for a second or 2 but happens frequently its mostly dull pressure like and once in a while i get a stabbing pain if i move the muscle by my armpit i feel a dull weird movement by my chest and sternum by your heart i feel missed diagnosed and im currently trying to get a ultrasound i had this non stop for almost 1 year now and i been on bed rest that long cuz the pain feel so sever i still think its a heart attack cause where the pain is and how intenced it is doctors are lazy so im a try to push for a ultra sound you just never no and they dont care wat ever makes there job easer i been to the er countless time and they do nothing nm doctors are horrible now and days you got to kinda be your own doctor do your own home work this is constantly miserable pain

• Posted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.