Painkillers

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,

I am pleased to be put on methotrexate, after a year of useless injections, I was using Nurofen for pain but can't use it with Methotrexate, at present I am using Co-codamol, but not finding them very good, would like to know what tablets can be used, that relieve the pain in my knees.     Thanks for any info.      Maureen.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I cannot take Methotrexate or any DMARD, they will not give me Biologics either as they feel I would not respond.

Pain Killers, I take Tramadol on varying dose, Aytryptalene 75mg and Celebrex 200mg daily. I also use a V TENS when really bad.

BOB

• Posted

Thankyou for the information, I now know there are other pain killers I can go on.

Many thanks,

Maureen.

• Posted

Hi Maureen 

I am also on Sulfasalazine and Methotrexate, im also on co codomol I also take Tramadol to help with pain, although you have to be careful as they can cause memory loss if you take too many. 

best wishes hope you find what you need to help you 

• Posted

Many thanks for your information.

Maureen.

• Posted

however saying that they dont always work for me, but without I think the pain would be greater so they are taking the edge off, Im on Sulfasalazine and Methatrexate, I am about to start on Cimzia hopefully in a couple of days, So with the 2 painkillers 2 dmards and the biotic im hoping i might get back to somewhere near normal 
  • Posted

Hi Maureen

There are many painkillers that can be used for arthritis with methotrexate but my advice would be to go to your rheumatologist (or phone) to get advice on which one. Gabapentine (spelling?) is one which is widely used without you feeling doped up to the eyeballs!!

I've found that ice packs help any direct areas of pain.

If you can't get to see your Rheumy straight away your doctor can prescribe something until you do.

One of the things you want to think about before you go to the doctors is whether you want to take a painkiller daily which stays in your system constantly or whether you want one that you take as and when you need it.

I don't think co co-codamol is the best pain relief for arthritis but it will certainly help until you can get put on a prescribed one.

Hot baths also help me.

Good luck and you don't have to live in constant pain so I wish you well

Lisa

??????

• Posted

At the moment I am taking pain killers daily, I have only just started on methotrexate, so hopefully when it gets into my sytem, I'll be able to cut back on painkillers.

Thanyou for your information,

Maureen.

• Posted

Hi Maureen,

I have been on Methotrexate for 4 years, but due to pain not controlled. GP  persribed codiene phosphate 15mg up to 4 times daily , which I am able to take paracetamol 500mg PRN. I have found that I do have better control, but not great  as still have frequent flare ups. I hope that this helps.

• Posted

Maureen, you can take both an NSAID like celebrex and a painkiller such as co-codamol together unless the anti-inflammatories have affected your kidneys. A stomach protector such as omeporzale is also desireable with any of the prescription NSAIDS.

How often are you taking the cocodamol? To get the best benefit 2 every 6 hours but maybe a bit shorter gap before bed. It  will take a little time to build up. If youre wating till pain begins thats too late - regulariy makes a difference.

For your knees the tried and tested microwaved grain bags will help, alternated with a bag of frozen peas. Have you tried Votarol gel? A topical NSAID. That might help at bed time?

• Posted

Thanks for the info, I am taking Co-codamol 2 tablets 3 times a day, morning , late afternoon and bedtime. i have only just started on methotrexate and hopefully as it gets in to my sytem more I will need to take less painkillers. When i was on methotrexate before, I was only on painkillers for a while. I'll stick with Co-codamol and see how I get on, but nice to know there are others I can try. I have tried Votarol, but no good to me.      Many thanks, Maureen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.