Never again - FS

Posted , 9 users are following.

Sp three years of right sholder every treatment going now the left shoulder. Had guided injections yesterday that made my eyes smart. To be told them I am well stuck and they decided to do a manipulation unde a local anaesetic. Guys I would not recommend. It was the worse pain I have endured and had to muffle my groans of pain. It lasted for about 15 mins. They tugg and pull waiting for bones to crack. The pain down the arm was incredible. Awoke  this morning and overnight in agony. If anything else has to be done or they want to do a manipulation I am going to be put right out. It was never discussed they would manipulate after injections so quite shocked they did it. Hang on in there everyone.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Gosh that all sounds horrendous. Hope you start to feel better

and get over the shock and pain of having that done.

• Posted

I am surpised they did a manipulation under just a local anasthetic.  I thought it would be easier for the surgeon and a lot less painful for the patient if its done under  a general anasthetic, unless there is some medical reason.

Having said that, I had a capsular release which included manipulation recently, and I did not have a general anasthetic.  They injected anasthethic into certain nerves in the neck, which made the whole arm numb, i.e. a nerve block.   In addition, they injected sedatives into my opposite hand whilst the procedure was going on, so it wasn't at all painful and even though I was 'awake' I honestly don't remember most of it!  As there was no GA, it was less risky, and recovery from the op was much quicker.  The numbness wore off about 8 hours later, and then I had to manage the pain with pain-killers for several weeks.

• Posted

Hi, My initial appt was for extremity injections. I had this done by a radiologist, who is also a consultant of his profession. After the procedure which was aprox 20 min he told me to wait in the waiting room for approx 15 min then he would call me in. I thought it was to see how it felt. I was then shocked to say he was going to manipulate. I remember asking for him to stop as I could not tolerate the pain. He tried distracting me thorugh conversation while he continued to rotate the arm. After hearing a loud crack he said I think we have done it. The pains as I said was excruciating and now 3 days on the underneath of the arm pit is very sore as is the ball and socket joint. I have been flushed for 3 days too. I assume this is probably connected to the drugs they pumped in me. I have sent a message to my consultant surgeon asking if he had requested this treatment as is deemed barbaric. It will be interesting to  hear his response. I am not pain free. My right shoulder the MUA was done under a general as was the two arthroscopic operations. I do not know why this was done differently. I was in extreme pain when I saw the consultant on the Thursday and he wanted me treated that afternoon but due to lack of appointments it was the next day. This was done at a private hospital of which I have no complaints as they fixed my right shoulder eventually. The approach has been different, although the same consultant surgeon. It was the Radiologist consultant that I have to question.
  • Posted

Hi Jay...so sorry to hear. Your title says it all - Never Again. I truly wish the medical community messing with our shoulders had far more understanding about what causes FS in the first place. I think then that treatments like this would be considered barbaric. It's bad enough to have 'the usual' FS pain; I cannot fathom having this inflicted in the name of medicine. Wishing you rapid healing, Liane

• Posted

About 3 months into my frozen shoulder a freind of mine kept saying doing the injections with the manipulation! She said it so painful and horrible but was worth it to get out so quickly! I thought she ment cortisone as this procedure was nothing my surgeon ever mentioned! I recently had capsular realease surgery and mua under general! She was good to go in a matter of weeks I have no idea how long my recovery is going to take! So maybe if it works quickly and you get to skip all the agonizing months one day you might be a fan of just nipping it in the bud so quickly? Keep us posted on the recovery process of this I know I was told a year from my pt this week!
  • Posted

In the US Xiaflex injection was used to desinagrate the collagen in the shoulder capsule causing my FS. 

Xiaflex is a protein designed to only attack collagen, scar tissue from injuries or collagen build up in the facia of the tissue in the shoulder. 

After two weeks returned to dr office and he used freeze spray to numb my shoulder with pain block and very carefully manipulated my shoulder to free it from frozen position. 

Wore a a splint for a few weeks then once stabilized Physio therapy helped regain all ROM. 

Sorry yours urs was so painful during manipulation also a pain block should have been administered. The doc should have done the pain block where you feel no pain and prescribed pain meds for home. Sometimes I wonder how some docs stay in business. That sounds inhumane for all that suffering could have been avoided. 

Hopexxx

• Posted

I wpuld never have thought that any responsible physician would perform a MUA on a conscious person.

I would complain to the hospital administrator and lodge a complaont against the physician's license.

so very sorry

hugs

• Posted

Hi Jay

I am interested to know where u had it done. I don't know if u mention a place name my post might not be allowed. I think everyone is appalled. Richard had a nerve block and a sedative. Good luck with the exercises. .

• Posted

Yes it would be interesting where you had it done. I am in the U.K. and the being treated by the NHS. I had a nerve block, but as I said I was given a powerful sedative as well. Not sure what it was, but the anaesthetist said it would be like red wine being taken intravenously! I certainly felt little at the time and recovery from the sedative was very quick.

Hope you get better soon.

• Posted

Well my friend that did this had it at one of the top surgeons in my city! But I think it is rare to go this route as it is very painful! She was in a difficult period in her life and needed out of the frozen shoulder quickly so her dr made the exception and just did it there and then in office! Not sure what is in the injections but her was almost an instinct fix besides the trama of the treatment!! Her life was in a trama state so I think her dr just made the call to end the FS suffering that day!!
    • Posted

HI, I was in excruciating pain, and I am not pain free. Will see how it goes. I am just shocked as my surgeon did not meniton this just extremity injections that was done the next day after visiting him. Not done by him but his Radiologist consutlatn.  See my comments to Richard.
    • Posted

Ya that will be frustrating if you went through that and don't get any results how's you rom?

• Posted

My ROM is very limited. I am still in pain and was told not to push it for a few days. Then gentle exercises. It will be a wating game I think as my right shoulder took 3 years in total to get sorted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.