Pancreatitis doesnt get settled

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all,

I am 40 years male and had my first attack on 20 oct 16 , stayed in hospital for 1 week, i had a MRCP which showed a stricture in the duck and inflammation at tail of pancreas, after 2 weeks had another attack and stayed in hospital for another 1 week!, they did a EUS (endoscopic ultrasound) which didn't show any cancer , so everyone was expecting it would get better .but i had another MRI today 12 dec 16 and no improvement ! Drs are confused as they have rulled out Autoimmunity, worm and gallbladder stone !

But i still have the continues dull pain which get worst sometimes .

Any similar experience?

Cheers

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I had an attack in August, the pain and infalmmation never went awaysad Its still there. Im on lots of support groups on facebook and we are al in the same boat!!

• Posted

Yes, my attack came out of the blue in May - no stones, cysts or cancer - the head of my pancreas is inflamed along with my common bile duct. Although the pain is (mostly) under control, everything else has stayed the same. My doctors are baffled and are continuing to monitor me but not much they can do. I'm being really strict with the low fat diet and lots of water (completely gave up alcohol too, not that I drank much) and that seems to keep things stable. Hopefully it won't get worse.

• Posted

@NixKiwiWolf , I think I may have asked you before, but what other issues have you had since your attack?
    • Posted

I get tired really easily and sometimes I feel a bit nauseous but that's about it. My bowels are back to normal. I get hungry easily too but that's because I'm hardly eating any fat so it's hard to feel full. My pancreas lets me know if I've eaten something it doesn't like and I get the odd sharp pain but nothing like it was before. I find if I don't keep my fluids as high as I should then I get warnings like a bit of gripey pain.

• Posted

Im so concerned because I am constantky suoer super bloated. No matter what I eat I get these terrible bubbles in the intestines and i look pregnant. My Dr says its caused by IBS but it started with this attack in August. My Symptoms are getting worse and not better. Did you experience any blaoting at all before?
    • Posted

A little bit but I have always had a "nervous" gut, especially round my period. I do have more bloating now but nothing alarming. As the pancreas is part of the digestive process, I expected some changes. I feel I've got off lightly compared to some people and for that, I'm very grateful. I try to be careful with my health as much as I can. I guess symptoms are different for everyone as no one is the same.

• Posted

Hi Candice, I too bloat terribly and look pregnant, not a good look when you're in your 60's lol.  Before all this I was so thin with a concave tummy so quite a change.

During my last appointment with my pancreas guy he said he has another female patient with the same issue and had given it some thought.  He suggested it might be caused by bread, the yeast. 

I tend to make toast often these days rather than risk the possible post meal dash to the loo episodes so thought he might be onto something.  I used to make my own bread so I've started buying sour dough which doesn't have yeast added.  I've been doing that for about 6 weeks and whilst I don't have the obvious horrid bloating effect which felt awful in itself, I still have what looks like a pregnant stomach.  So who knows.

Cut out cruciferous vegetables too they trigger the bloat response. 

If you come up with anything else and it works let us know. 

• Posted

Hi Baroot, not forgetting you we just went off on a bit of tangent for a minute.

Hopefully someone told you about diet changes if not make sure you get onto

a low fat diet and don't drink any alcohol, none.  And if you smoke you should stop.  Those changes could make a big difference to how you're feeling. 

• Posted

Thanks Guys,

My blood tests are all fine , I will have another round of MRI / EUS in Feb ,

Has anyone experienced any vertigo ? as for now my issue is not pain , it's the bloody vertigo and dizziness ! and with the blood test normal , I am thinking it might be a chronic one....it has really affected my life and my job sad

• Posted

My tests are all normal too and I know that I have chronic pancreatitis, it never got better and I am losing my job now and selling our home. Im trying to get to the states to get help.

Kindest Regards

Candice

• Posted

So was it your first time to be diagnosed with Pancreatitis in August? So it turned into a chronic in just 5 months?...can they distinguish chronic from acute in imaging?
    • Posted

Very minor changes, Dr explained that my blood work stayed high. The inflammation stayed high and my pain has not gone away. I can not eat liek a normal person and that defines Chronic. Something that did not heal or get better.
    • Posted

Seems that i am walking the same damn path!..my pain is not that much though, its more like being lightheaded and weak with stomach unrest (lots of rumbling )
    • Posted

YES me too Baroot73, the vertigo drives me nuts.  I keep telling my GP, all appears normal apparently so I've dropped it and never thought to ask my pancreas guy.  I might bring it up when I see him next.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.