Interpreting kidney test results

Posted , 3 users are following.

Back in September I had a kidney stone scan, cystoscopy and also blood tests for kidney problems as a precaution following 2 UTI infections. I was told at the time that the results were normal/clear but the urologist insisted on a referral to a nephrologist (in January)  because of non visible blood traces in the urine. More recently I asked a GP for actual figures from the blood tests.. She gave them to me without saying which test was which! The figures were 90 and 71. I am hoping that 90 was the eGFR. If so could the 71 be creatinine or does that not make sense?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Either one of those two numbers would be GREAT if they are your GFR!!  Neither number makes any sense regarding creatinine.  The standard range for creatinine is 0.52 - 1.04 mg/dL.  Any number greater than 60 is very good for GFR.  Your nephrologist can explain other factors which play into your kidney function.  Such as, your levels of calcium, sodium, potassium, etc.
    • Posted

Hi Kathi70354      I went back to the GP today for clarification but saw a different GP. She assures me that I don't have to worry but accepted that I was angry about not having been told about this. She explained that blood tests for kidney function give an official result of CKD stage 2 for virtually everyone over about 50 because it is very rare for them to have a GFR  over 90. They have records of GFR for me since 2011 and they have varied enormously. Based on the tests so far, I don't have to worry because my creatinine, urea etc. are normal.

She gave me a printout which said

eGFR (now 61 but it has fluctuated a lot between 60 and 90 over the past 5 years - never below)

Serum Creatinine 91 umol/L [62-106] (so 0.91 mg/dL i think)

Potassium and urea also well within normal levels

I am not happy about the way a hospital can record me as having CKD stage 2 just based on a GFR test and not not tell me about it.

• Posted

I am happy you got correct answers to your tests.  Since my daughter is in the medical field she is able to help me read my test results prior to seeing my nephrologist. The tests are done a week in advance to my appointment with him and posted online. It is important for all of us to take ownership in our health.  Copy and file each and everyone of your tests so you can compare them.  Your GFR will go down with age.  My nephrologist has told me if he were to remove a diseased kidney from a woman my age (73) it is likely her remaining kidney would have a GRF close to mine (39). 
  • Posted

Hi katejo

If you have a foreign body in your kidney, especially a hard ,rough kidney stone. There will be abrasion within your kidney causing very small traces of blood. With gfr results of 90 OR 70, it wouldn't be an issue. Once the stones are removed, the abrasion would stop and blood trace would clear up. Don't be alarmed, just get them out. Good luck with that bit. Lol

• Posted

My misunderstanding. Hopefully the doctor has explained things more to your satisfaction now.
    • Posted

Yes they have but I am not happy with the way in which a hospital can record someone as having a condition based on a blood test only and without telling the patient.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.