Is this "Night Sweats"

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I'll try to make this super short. I was having some leg issues and went to the doctor. They did an x-ray of my knee and saw nothing. A day later I felt a lump behind my knee and went back to the doctor. He thought it was a Baker's cyst and sent me for an ultrasound. The ultrasound saw absolutely nothing and that was the end of it. Since then I just can't stop thinking that maybe this is a lymph node. Last night, I woke from sleep and I was pretty sweaty. I wasn't "drenched". I just had some sweat between my breasts and at the nape of my neck and my bedsheet had two small damp spots of perspiration. I was feeling pretty hot and turned my fan on. My question is this. Number one, would an ultrasound show a swollen or problematic lymph node behind my knee? Secondly, is what I described a night sweat or just overheating?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Night sweats caused by cancer drench everything, your bed linen would be soaking so I think you were just a bit too hot. I think it would be quite unusual for lymph nodes behind the knee to be the first sign of cancer. Mine was behind my ear, they tend to be more in the torso than the limbs. If the lump behind your knee is still there I would go back to your doctor for further tests.
  • Posted

Hi Elizabeth - Joy is likely right, this does not sound like "night sweats' at all. they are drinching, and happen over and over. Sounds like you were just a bit hot (maybe the beginning of "hot flashes" if you are approaching menopause). Wouldn't worry about that lump behind your knee, either - that's a highly unlikely spot for lymphoma to pop up, and Baker's cyst is a much more reasonable possibility. If that's been eliniated by ultrasound (which would have also seen any suspicously swollen nodes), you can relax.

• Posted

Yes, Baker's cyst was ruled out. Thank you ladies so much for your replies. I made the cardinal mistake of consulting Dr. Google and one of the results that popped up was lump behind the knee lymphoma and my mind just went racing. Lol

• Posted

Yup, "Dr. Google" (love that! will have to remember for future) is pretty non-specific sometimes and causes a lot of unnecessary panic. Glad things are well with you!

• Posted

Ever since then I've been poking and prodding around on all of my lymph nodes and I swear the lymph node in the back of my head near my hairline is a little bit swollen but it's so tiny I don't know if that is actually considered swollen. It's like once you board the anxiety train it's hard to get off LOL

• Posted

Yeah, but jump right off at the next stop! It's so easy to talk yourself into an obsession wink and you have better things to do with your time, I'm sure, than prodding your nodes biggrin)

• Posted

was your room hot?

nerves as in stress can cause our body to do weird things.

A Baker's Cyst forms when excessive fluid empties into a sac behind the knee. It is quite common occurrence

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.