Ferritin problem

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I used to exercise x5 a week and stopped due to fainting episodes happening everytime I exercise and elevate my heart. Now it's a constant feeling even if I walk around the house and stops only when I lay down.

I've been having a weird feeling swooning in my head from waking up and continuing till night. Feeling like a drunk feeling in my head and severe dizziness and can't balance and stay long on my feet. If I elevate my heartrate I get a fainting episode, tunnel vision, pupils dilates, sweating, 150bpm heart rate and a huge headache. I'm a 28 female. Got to the emergency last night a they said it could be something from the heart but ECG and Echocardiogram came back to normal.  

Some recent blood test results I did:

TSH 3.360 (0.3 - 3.0 micIU/mL) H

Free T4 20.58 (11 - 18 pmol/L) H

Free T3 5.2 (3.5 - 6.5 pmol/L)

Cortisol 8AM 850 (145- 619nmol/L) H

Ferritin = 39 (10-291)

Haemoglobin = 15 (14-17)

Vitamin b12 = 401.0 (156-672)

Taking levothyroxine and Globifer Forte (18mg iron & 600mg Heamoglobin powder from cattle) with Vitamin C. Saw a small improvement the first week on x2 Globifer doses than all my symptoms  came back after I tried to start exercising again. Took a small walk and got a fainting episode and had to lay down. 

Could it be iron deficiency? or something else? Thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Why not get your Iron and Transferrin Saturation tested to know for sure?
    • Posted

I would just ask for them to check because of your ferritin. 

not sure if you are female but it's fairly common in women. 

• Posted

Have you heard of PoTS - Postural Tachycardia Syndrome?  It struck me rightaway that your sympoms sound very like PoTS although of course I don't know at all.  Google it and see if you think the symptoms are relevant to you.  I don't know about your other results but your haemoglobin seems normal and if Ferritin results indictate your iron level then that seems to be okay.  My iron was 7.5 after recent blood tests (although my haemoglobin was normal) so that's why I must have felt increasingly dizzy and exhausted, even though I have M.E. too so feeling exhausted and sometimes dizzy is normal for me anyway!

• Posted

Hello Yana

Your results you posted are not indicative of an iron deficiency. 39 is well in the normal range, although doctors like to see patients keep to their 'normal' so what is normal for you might not be for me...

Your cortisol is High, which can be a sign of corticosteroid use or that you are under prolonged periods of stress. Combined with your thyroid results though, I would ask the doc to check and explain the thyroid results to you. Your Haemoglobin result is fine so I see no IDA (Iron deficiency anaemia.) 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.