It gets better!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Just wanted to say that I searched so many chat rooms when I was going through this, and I thought I would post what it is like on the other side.  There is hope!  I titrated down very slowly from 150 mg to nothing over 3 months.  Lots of issues with dizziness, mood swings, nausea, etc.  The worst was when I went from a few granules to nothing (in the end I was taking about a third of the granules in one capsule a day).  I felt AWFUL for a good 2 weeks. I was certain I would never get better.  But guess what? It does get better. I know it is hard when you feel sick, but the drug withdrawal period does end.  Have hope!  Also:  fish oil capsules three times a day really helped.  Saw that on other boards and darn it, it worked! 

0 likes, 64 replies

64 Replies

• Posted

What a wonderful post Jessica! I really thank you and I am certain your message will inspire many. I am going to try reducing in jan and will save your post for a great tool to help me! ♥♥♥
  • Posted

Hello there I've been on venlafine since I lost my business in 2001 then I lost my wife in 2003 and to add to it all my son only 23 passed away the following year of a heart conditionSince then my dose has gone from 75mg to 185mg and I feel now that I am having so many side effects. Tinnitus . Depression and lack of any interest in any thing. I feel they have took over my life there are other side effects too the doctor said I should stay on them but I don't want to. Bless you Michael.

• Posted

Hi Michael

my heart goes out to you ?

You have borne a terrible load of sadness that most of us won't see over a lifetime.

It sounds like venlafaxine is not helping you much. Once I took ven and mirtazipine as a combo approach, this was when I started to feel better.

Don't keep suffering on a med that's not helping. It's really worth having a meds review with your doc.

I pray you will find healing and health xxx

• Posted

Hi Lorraine

I am on mirtazapine 45mg and haf just tried 6 months on citalopram going up to 40mg....now on 10mg. It made me worse. I actually feel better on 10mg. The psychiatrist has prescribed me ven to start at 75 for 2 weeks then up to 150. I am scared to try another med especially one with a reputation for terrible withdrawals and side effects.

You said the two mirt and ven helped you. Was it worth it ?

• Posted

Hi Sarah

I was on citalopram at varying doses for six months and it was horrendous with all those side effects and no improvement. l then went on mirtazipine and venlafaxine once the venlafaxine was added it was like a miracle cure! I have recently stopped mirt and now just on 75 ven. It's working wonders! I did try going up to 150 but it gave me terrible sweats and headaches. I would really recommend ven but suggest you stick to 75mg. You will sweat a bit for a couple of weeks but for me it wasn't hard work and side effects were minimal and short lasting. i would really give it a go. For me it was the only cure in eliminating my depression. I really wish you every success and am here for you anytime ?

• Posted

Thanks for answering.

How long were you on the mirt ? Did you have any trouble getting off it ?

• Posted

Hi Sarah

I was on mirt for about 10 months. I did try and come off it before as I was getting so fat and sluggish. I tried to come off it quickly and have never felt so ill in my life and had to reinstate mirth to feel human. On my third attempt I tapered properly and I'm now five weeks clear with minimal symptoms. i still feel a little sick but it manageable. Please take a careful slow approach to coming off. Xxx

• Posted

I will taper very slowely.

How long were you on the 2 meds together ?

I am 3rd day on citalopram 10mg and so far feel much better than on higher doses. Not surei f it will last.

I suppose I don t want to go an another med with all the side effects if just being on 10mg of cit will be enough. I have pnd and so a 10 month old baby and need to be well enough to look after him.

My psychiatrist wants me to start on 75mg on Tues for 2 weeks then 150mg. Stopping the citalopram. Am now having second thoughts. So confusing !!!

• Posted

Hi Sarah

I was on mirt and ven combo since April this year. I am now five weeks off mirt. You are right mirtazipine leaves you feeling hung over! Out of citalopram, mirt and ven for me ven has been amazing.no horrible side effects apart from a bit of sweating for the first couple of weeks. I forgot to mention when I came off cit, I became very angry, tearful and this lasted a good few weeks. Stopping any antidepressant without a slow taper can really make you unwell. As you have a beautiful baby to look after, please slow taper, to enable you to function ♥♥

• Posted

Sorry for all the questions.

How did you switch from citalopram to ven ? I am worried about withdrawing from the cit whilst going on the ven. I would rather taper of the cit and then start the ven but that would take ages.

Did you ever get tension headaches on cit ? I have been getting them daily. Going the ven won t do this.

I really want off the mirt but can t do that till I am more stable. I feel like I ve drunk 3 bottles of wine each morning but I don t drink.

• Posted

Hi Sarah

never too many questions ??

I didn't taper from cit I just did what the doctor said, hence I got irritable, tearful and angry! Hopefully you will start halving your cit now and prepare for ven. If you can end on a quarter tab of cit. This should stop those horrible withdrawals. Mirt and ven together is amazing but as you mentioned you can be a bit hung over next day. The combo made me feel normal. I only gave up mirt because I was eating everything in sight, plus I was feeling well.

Citalopram made me ill with every rotten side effect. Ven and mirt was my life saver with no horrible side effects. (Apart from sweating for a couple of weeks)

Here for you anytime ?

• Posted

Thanks lorraine

My psychiatrist advised me to take 10mg of cit.....I was on 20mg....for 5 days then start 75mg of ven. I may ask if I should stay on 10mg for a couple if weeks.

I hope it works as well for me as you.

Have heard so many horror stories as well as good ones.

I don t seem to have a weight issue on the mirtazapine have actually lost weight.

I do feel better since reducing the cit.

• Posted

Keep me posted on your progress Sarah ♥

I know how difficult it must be feeling unwell with a little baby to care for xx

• Posted

Hello I'm currently tapering down my mirtazapine I was on 37.5mg and now I'm on 22.5mg and I'll go down to 15mgnrxt week I was told to do this faster but I'm not. I'm told to start venaflaxine 37.5mg while taking 15mg mirtazapine then to stop the mirtazapine totally after a weekok both then too up the venaflaxine to 75mg I'm worried about starting the venaflaxine is it a good Med and is it safe to take the two tighter for a week?

Thank you for any advice.

Hope you are well

X

• Posted

I will be on 45mg of mirtand starting on ven. The 2 are often prescribed together as they work well together.

I m really hoping they will help me as citalopram has not helped.

• Posted

Hi Lorraine

I am now on my 3rd day of ven at 37.5mg and 3rd day of cit.....was on 10mg for 2 weeks. Not feeling too good. I can not tell if it is cit withdrawal or ven start up. I think it is more likely cit withdrawal.

I believe you did the same switch. How was the start for you ?

Feeling scared this won t work. How long till you felt better ? Did it take getting to 75mg ? Did you have to get past the cit withdrawal first ?

Again sorry for all the questions.

Hope you had a good xmas.

• Posted

Hi Sarah

I would definitely say it's cit withdrawal and not the ven. It took me around 4 weeks to get rid of all the cit withdrawal. Anger and crying plus I thought I was losing my mind! I also had shaking and nausea coming of cit. 75 of ven is the perfect dose for me. The lower dose did not help much. Are you going to end up on mirt and ven? That combo was a life saver for me almost instantly. I am now off mirt and just on 75 ven. What are your main symptoms? I promise you it will get better ???

• Posted

Thanks for replying.

I m freaking out a bit.

I ve got a headache, anxious, very tearful and dizzy, no motivation and don t want to be around my family. I was on 10mg for 2 weeks but suppose that is not much of a taper. Also I suppose the ven won t be doing anything yet.

Did you ferl better as soon as you went to 75mg ? How long were you on 37.5mg ? I suppose the ven can t override the cit withdrawal.

This is so hard. Just want to feel ok......not even good.....ok would do. Wish I d never taken cit !!!!

• Posted

Hi Sarah

I really feel for you and know first hand how you are feeling.

All the symptoms you are getting are classic withdrawal symptoms including isolating yourself from friends and family. Keep in mind this is time limited and all these horrible withdrawal effects will 100% disappear. Just try to rest as much as you can, keep drinking water. The tears and headaches, fatigue and feelings that's you will never feel better are all due to the newly created chemical imbalance of not getting your cit fix. Once your on 75 of ven and 15 mirt (45 sounds too much) you will feel a lot better. Hang in there, it may take a couple of weeks but just try to ride it out by doing what your body needs. Eg sleep, water, force some food down you. This is a horrible time for you but remember your brain needs to balance it's chemical deficits.

Here for you, no freaking out as I promise you, You will get better ????

• Posted

Hi Sarah

I was on cit first then mirtazipine then ven was added after ihad fully withdrawn from cit. I had no side effects on mirt apart from getting the munchies and feeling very tired. I knew all the anger, anxiety, crying, headaches, nausea was because I had stopped cit which my brain was accustomed to getting. When ven was added i got sweats but I didn't mind as ven and mirt gave me nearly instant recovery! Try not to worry but you will need a couple of weeks to start feeling human again ????

• Posted

Thanks lorraine

I think 45mg if mirt is too high as well but don t want to mess with that till I m more settled on the ven. I sm still scared it won t work for me. My psychiatrist wants to get me to 150mg even 225mg. I m hoping 150mg will be enough.

Did you just take 15mg of mirt ?

So did you taper of the cit or just do a straight swap and how long on 75mg till you felt better ? Do you think the cit withdrawal pronlonged the time it took to feel better ?

Again sorry for all the questions.

Happy New Year x

• Posted

Hi Sarah

I read this thread with interest as I have been going through a similar process.

I'm currently taking 15 mirt abd 225 ven. I don't feel as depressed or anxious as I did before (I was in quite a bad way after a very stressful situation earlier this year), but I am tired and unmotivated at the moment.

I'm hoping to reduce the ven a bit to see if I perk up. I think it has helped me a lot over the last 4 months, but I need to get some energy back and regain my life (I have spent the time resting and having a quiet life, which was probably what I needed, but I'm bored of it now!).

Best wishes

Rodders

• Posted

Hi Sarah

I had a swift taper of around a week or 10 days. That probably made things worse. Once I got to 75 I felt so much better instantly. The gp told me to go to 150 ven which I tried but got chronic headaches so after a few days went down again to 75 then plain sailing from there!

Ask as many questions as you want where all in it together ♥♥♥

• Posted

Hi Rodders

i think you may be right that your dose is too high. I improved once i went down to 75. It's about finding the right balance for each of us ?

• Posted

Hi Lorraine

Thanks for your reply. My doc wanted to increase the dose, but I just feel lazy on 225, although not so down as I did before.

My depression was caused by a huge business related stress about a year ago, which I'm coming to terms with. Before that I was full of energy, physically and mentally, now I am wanting some of my old energy back.

?I also have hangover type symptoms, and I miss going out for a few pints - I have tried, but any more than 2 beers makes me rough the next day.

How long would it take to taper to 75?. I only took 150 this morning as a start, and will see how I feel.

Best wishes

Rodders

• Posted

Hi Rodders

wow your illness came about for the same reasons as mine. Like you I had always been well beforehand. I only took 150 for a few days as it made me feel super unwell with headaches to die for!

Good thing about ven is once you have the right dose you are back up on your feet. The old you will return but it takes a little time. I am coming up to 20 months of being unwell due to various ADs that didn't work. I started ven in April and noticed a good improvement. I did take mirtazipine too and think this combo is a great one for resistant depression. I am now 7 weeks off mirtazipine and next I will concur the ven! Your energy levels will improve and you will feel better. Our minds trick us into believing we won't get better, but I promise you we do. Try and find the right balance we are all different. 150 made me feel ill whereas 75 was brilliant. Don't forget to take D3 and fish oil supplements as antidepressants rob us of these. Omega is great for our poorly brains.

here for you ?

• Posted

Hi Lorraine

Today has been a bit better but still a struggle.

I have a physical condition which I am hoping is temporary but that is getting me down.

I ve been told it can take up to 8 weeks on the right dose of ven to feel better I hope it is quicker for me.

Like you I have been I'll for about 2 years since I fell pregnant. This is such a cruel illness as are the med choices we have to make whilst I'll.

Happy New Year x

• Posted

Hi Rodders

It is strange that this med can make some people lazy as I thought it increased adrenaline but I may misunderstand how it works.

My psychiatrist wants me to get to 225 but I am willing to try 150 but no higher.

How long did it take till you felt better ?

Happy New Year x

• Posted

Hi Sarah

I was in quite a bad state, especially in the mornings, and I wasn't sleeping much.

I had been fit and healthy until a year ago when business related problems caused a hellish amount of stress, which turned to depression and anxiety.

I went from 75 to 225 within a few weeks, in tablet form in the mornings, with 15 mirt at night to help sleep. 

They call this combination 'california rocket fuel'.

I noticed the effects after a few weeks, and a definite lift in mood after about 6 weeks.

But I am just lazy and lethargic now, which is just not me. I still have a  business to run, as well as trying to keep myself fit and healthy. 

I just don't bother with easy things like hoovering or shopping unless I have to.

I'm planning on dropping the dose a bit to see if it helps, I will keep you posted if you like.

I would pehaps try the 150 for 6 weeks then decide.

Happy new year to you too x

• Posted

Hi

I have been in quite a state too. Totally different reason.....post natal illness.

I don t have the option of lying around with an 11 month old baby.

Yep keep me posted x

• Posted

Hi Lorraine

I think what I had was a nervous breakdown, but the docs don't use that term anymore. They called it a 'stressful episode' or something similar.

Life was great for me before, and these feelings were all alien to me. 

I was cycling every day, gym 3 times a week and running a sucsessful development business. 

It went wrong so quickly for me a year ago, when several problems occured at the same time on a large building project. I had a meltdown and sold the project half built and lost most of the proffit, but also my confidence and self esteem.

I'm trying to get back to normal. the ven has helped my mood, but I'm lethargic and indecisive, and annoyingly can't even have a few beers.

I will try and reduce to 75 ven only, as when I was put on it I was increased up to 225 so quickly that I wouldn't have known if the 75 worked.

The doc thinks that I overreacted to the stress - but what does he know about the pressures that I was under, and losing all I had worked for for about 2 years. 

I have found no councilling for business stress or burnout available, there are plenty for marriage, berevement, PTSD etc. 

I think there is a need for it, and feel after my experience I would be willing to help start something up (when I'm fully recovered).

Happy new year! x

• Posted

Hi Sarah

sorry your having a not so good day. I honestly don't think you will have to wait that long with the combo of mirt and ven, hence it's known as california rocket fuel! Your hurdle is getting over the cit withdrawal. How are you managing with a little one to look after. It's a battle looking after ourselves with this illness. I really hope you are getting support from your family as you need to be able to have time to ride the withdrawal. Please keep me posted. Are you getting the sweats? Ven gave me bad sweats for approx 2 weeks.

thinking of you and wishing you a brighter tomorrow x

• Posted

Hi Rodders

my heart goes out to you ?

I think mine was a nervous breakdown too. I stood up one morning and knew something was dreadfully wrong. I ended up in bed facing the wall all day wishing for death as I felt so abnormal, couldn't think and couldn't will myself to move, speak etc' I think your spot on with the lack of resources for burn out/breakdown. I am feeling well now but after 20 months of being housebound, I need to find my confidence again to rejoin the big wide world! I hope you stay in touch as this illness like everything else in life is time limited. You will get yourself back and I think we will be stronger after going through this ordeal! ?

God bless xx

• Posted

Hi Lorraine

Today has been better than the last 2 days but still a struggle. I had a massage today. I am suffering with jaw neck and shoulder pain as well as daily headaches....mostly at night. Not sure if it is part of the post natal illness, all the meds or something else. I have noticed they got worse on cit and are pretty bad atm so may be increased by withdrawal. They are really getting me down. The masseaur says mt shoulders are full of tension. I am using heat to try and, ease it. The diazepam does not help it.

I am struggling with my son as he is very demanding and I am very irritable and to be honest don t want to be around him. My husband is helping but he goes back to work on tues.

I am not sweating at all in fact I don t think I ve had any side effects from the ven at this dose. The headaches pre date the ven. Tomorrow will be day 5 then 75 on weds.

If it was not for the headache I would not feel too bad today.

I have heard of Californian rocket fuel but I d be surprised if it helps immediately. I don t think it will help with the headaches which is another major factor in my depression and anxiety.

• Posted

Hi Sarah

bless you, I think you are doing amazingly well given what you are contending with. How long have yyoubeen on 45 mirt ? It seems a high dose alongside your other med. But 100% withdrawal from most antidepressants leaves you with banging headaches that painkillers don't touch! I even tried the strongest codeine that didn't touch them either!

The combination of the two ADs worked really quickly for me. I will be honest by saying citalopram gave me the worst withdrawal but all discontinuation symptoms disappeared around three weeks. Stay strong, can't your hubby get another week off, you could do with the help over this period xx

• Posted

Worse than the mirt withdrawal ?

Did you get terrible headaches coming off cit ? They come on in the evening and painkillers are pointless.

• Posted

I did Sarah, dreadful time when they passed it was nausea and retching! Tremors and rage, dizziness the works! Cit was the worse by far! When it's time for you to come off mirt, it will be straightforward as long as you taper properly! I am going to try and come off ven next! Going to start tapering end of Jan. Heard that is a hard one to come off too! But again I'm going to do a slow taper and hopefully it will be fine. You will always read loads of terror withdrawals but everyone is different. Tapering is crucial but gps don't seem to understand this and try and make people do quick switches. If only they knew what that does to us poor souls! Hope you have a decent night and stay strong you will get through this ??? don't forget your omega and vitamin d supplements xx

• Posted

Hi Lorraine & Sarah

A quick update!

I have been on 150 ven now for 3 days, down from 225. I'm still taking 15 mirt.

I feel ok, but have bad night sweats and much more vivid dreams. Could it be that the mirt has more effect now, so perhaps I should reduce this as well, perhaps halve it to 7.5?

My blood pressure is also a lot higher, although not dangerous, as it was very low before (might just be lack of excercise).

I hope your both getting on ok

Rodders

• Posted

Hi Rodders

I think I whatyou are experiencing is the reduction in ven, it may take a little while for your brain to accept the reduced dose and balance out again. Please don't reduce mirt just yet as that will cause a new chemical imbalance. The sweats may take a little time to dissappear but they will go. I wouldn't try more reductions until you feel stabilised again. Rushing brings on misery! How are you feeling now? Other than sweats are you getting any other symptoms? Hope to hear from you soon ??

• Posted

Hi Lorraine

I'm feeling ok thanks, other than the sweats. I even managed to go out on new year's eve and have a few beers without waking up to a terrible headache, which would normally happen on 225.

I'm determined to get down to 75, and then come off it when the time is right. I want to continue with my business this year, and be successful, which will hopefully push last years problems further into the past.

I also want to get fit again, I cycled nearly every day before, and I really miss it but lack the motivation.

Another thing the high dose did was numb my emotions too much, my cat died in November and I just dealt with it like a robot without feeling much grief, which is not like me at all.

I have started weight lifting again about 3 months ago and making steady progress.

I would also like to have a good holiday, but want to have the energy to fully enjoy it!

I appreciate your input, this forum is great x

• Posted

Ooh la la! I love your motivation and outlook Rodders ? I know you will get your full health back but please don't reduce any meds to quickly. So pleased you went out and had a good time. I am always here for you ? the sweats will go soon! Your post made my day!

• Posted

I'm pleased to have made your day Lorraine!

I've had not such a good night last night, vivid nightmares and a very light sleep.

I have tried calling my doc to advise if I should moderate the meds. I have a feeling that on the lower dose of ven, the mirt will have more effect, causing the problem.

I also take lorazepam 1mg, sometimes in the early evening which helps anxiety and sleep, which I'm also trying to cut down on.

I still don't deel depressed, just lethargic and unmotivated.

Going to do weights later this afternoon, which will help (a mate comes over and we spot for each other, whether I feel like it or not, which is good of him).

Best wishes

Rodders

• Posted

Hi Rodders

ouch sounds like your night was awful. I find I cannot get to sleep until around 2am. That's come about since coming off mirt 7 weeks ago. I think sleep and motivation are last in line when trying to recover. I like you am going to keep pushing through so we can plant our feet firmly on solid ground! I take diazepam when I'm desperate to sleep as the doc seems reluctant to give out zopicone for sleeping. I hope you have a good afternoon with the weights, no overdoing it!! Warmest wishes, keep in touch x

• Posted

Hi Lorraine

I hope you're doing ok!

I managed 9 days on 150, with my doc's approval, and am now on day 4 of 75 ven, so far so good!

I still have troubled sleep, but don't feel too bad. I want to be off all of it by Spring, and get back to a good excercise regime. The weights are going well, but I'm lacking the drive to to the cycling (it's not very appealing weather atm, but it didn't stop me before).

I bought some omega supplements, and multi vit tablets which I hope will help.

I'm going to stay on the 75 ven for a while and see what happens x

• Posted

Wow! Well done Rodders that is a major achievement ?

I am with you all the way! My brand of venlafaxine is venlablu, each capsule holds five mini tablets. Yesterday I opened up the capsule and removed 1 mini tab. So I'm now on 60mg. Did you notice any symptoms with your large drop eg dizziness etc?

So pleased for you and the goal of being off med by spring has now become my goal too. Please stay in touch as you have really inspired me to today?

sleep pattern returning may take some time, I think that may be the last hurdle ???

• Posted

I had a rough night last night after a while of feeling ok (I did have some beers though, which probably caused it).

I have felt a bit dizzy, but not too bad, I will not try beer again for a while and see how it goes.

I really need to get back to excercise, I know that will help. I'm also trying to get busy with my business. One downside of what I do is that I mostly work alone, and I live alone so I don't get as much social interaction as I would like, but I have a close circle of supportive family and friends close by which has been a great help.

I also miss the social scene of pubs and parties, but don't like hanging around with people who are drinking if I can't partake.

Much of my social life revolved around pubs (I'm in the uk, it is our culture - I'm not sure if you are?)

Best of luck with your reductions, I will def stay in touch and we can try and reach our goals by spring.

Should we start another thread as I feel I may have hijacked this one? x

• Posted

Hi Rodders

Sorry about your rough night. Fingers crossed you will get a better nights rest tonight. It is hard making tracks back into normality, but you are doing all the right things to help you recover. It would be a good idea to do another thread but wasn't sure what to call It! What's your views? So glad I have someone reducing with me! I am now 8 weeks clear of mirtazipine and my 2nd day of ven reduction! Spring goal fantastic motivation ???

• Posted

Hi Lorraine

10th day on 75mg of ven. Psychiatrist wants me to go up but I m thinking about staying at this dose. Especially as I m on 45mg of mirt too.

Lorraine how quickly did you taper of mirt ? From what dose and how bad was it ?

Well done on your meds reduction.

• Posted

Hi Sarah ♥

Lovely to hear from you. I think you are right to stay at 75 for a while as you are on a high dose of mirt. It took me three separate attempts to get off mirt. This was due to me trying to rush it.i have been successful on my third attempt by reducing by a small amount and staying on it for a couple of weeks before the next decrease. I had been on 15 mg for a long while so I cut my tablet in half 7.5 the other half I halved again 3.75 and took one part 3.75 + the half 7.5 making the combined intake of 11.25mg. I stayed on this for two weeks then went down to half tab only 7.5 for another two weeks, then went to a quarter tab 3.75 for two weeks, then I halved the quarter and took 1.87 for two weeks, then took a crumb of mirt for another two weeks then stopped! I know it sounds long winded but I learnt from my previous two failed attempts! The pill splitter is really cheap and you can find it in most chemists. Comes in really handy. How are you feeling Sarah? ♥♥

• Posted

I am feeling better but still not sleeping well and getting breakthrough anxiety. My mood is quite erratic. My psychiatrist is adamant she wants me to go up but I want to give it longer and preferably get down to 30 or even 15 on the mirt. Psychiatrists are very keen to just over medicate.

To reduce the mirt I would maybe alternate 45 and 37.5 for 2 weeks then 37.5 for 2 weeks then alternate 37.5 and 30 for 2 weeks the. 30 for 2 weeks and so on. That would be 3 months 45 to 15.

Right now I only have 45mg tablets of mirt so can t do much and psychiatrist needs to agree so I m a bit stuck.

I ll keep you I formed x

• Posted

Hi Sarah

that sounds a sensible plan for a reduction. It's worth gauging how you feel before doing anything drastic. I would wait until you start feeling constantly well before you make any changes. I think you are right that the medical bods like to give out large doses before giving the lower dosage sufficient time to really kick in.

Do stay in touch as i love hearing success stories, which yours will be! ??

• Posted

Hi Lorraine

I think there is a definite correlation to the amount of beer I drink to the quality of night that I have. I knew this already off course, but as I have been feeling good in myself and in a bouyant mood, I've allowed myself a few extra beers as I thought I'd be ok. 

I suppose in time it will be.

I hope you are coping well with reducing the last few days.

I will start another thread and will pm you the heading when I do x

• Posted

Hi Rodders

great to hear from you, I think you are right the tipple isn't helping a good night's sleep. But how great is it that you have had an improved mood.

I dropped 20% and now on 60 mg. Apart from the sporadic dry heaves I must say I too feel more alert and had a good giggle with my family today. That's major for me as I have been a miserable old crow for quite some months!

How long are you leaving it before your next drop?

Have a peaceful night and wishing you the best of snoozes ???

• Posted

Hi Lorraine

Hope you are well.

I am now on my first day of 150mg of ven after 3 weeks on 75mg. I have had a dreadful week after 2 ok weeks.

I have been off the cit for 23 days and thought after the first few days I was through the withdrawals but they seem to be back.

Getting worried. X

• Posted

Hi Sarah ?

Unfortunately it's such a roller coaster when withdrawing or increasing AD's. It took me approx 6 weeks to get clear of citalopram. I had anger surges, tears, sickness and tremors. Some days would be manageable and others would be dreadful. The withdrawal doesn't usually start straight away, for me it was day three onwards.

Your brain has lost a chemical it got use to and is now trying to accept and balance a new drug and dose. It will settle down Sarah, try not to lose sight of that, I know how easy it is to do that. (Our brains trick us in believing we will never get better) don't forget your omega and b vits they really help. How are you feeling today? ??

• Posted

Hi Lorraine

I m very anxious today. Don t know what to do with myself. Very tearful. I hoped going to 150 would help but not yet.

Really struggling this last week has been hell.

• Posted

Hi Sarah

sorry to hearyou are having a bad day ?

When I started going up Iin doses I got all sorts of horrible symptoms. I took diazepam when going through any increases which really helped. People say you can get addicted to them but if you take them sporadically on bad bad days they can really help. For some reason aanxiety can spike with any increase but you have got the added burden of getting citalopram withdrawals out of your system. It will get much better Sarah but it's worth asking your doc for a little something to get you over this period. Praying for you and hoping you have a brighter day tomorrow ???

• Posted

Hi all, I have read through your thread with interest. I suffer from anxiety and was on 10mg citalopram for 7 years with great success. I came off and the anxiety returned.

my GP put me back on citalopram with horrendous side effects. She then put me on sertraline with horrendous side effects ..... heightened anxiety (crawling the walls) and diazepam didn't help much. I was then put on 15mg Mirtazapine which took the edge off but at 3 weeks it was back I with a vengeance so now on 30mg. At 4 weeks it just makes me feel spaced out and still have anxiety, although it has taken the edge off. My psychiatrist has now prescribed 75mg of venaflaxin for 1 week then up to 150mg as well as 30mg of mirtazapine. I'm really scared about the side effects of anxiety and just wondered how you were all getting on and could offer any advice.

• Posted

ive been on venlafaxine for a while but they have added mirtazapine a few days ago! do you remember it helping quite quick

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.