HELP!? is this Chiari Malformation!?

Posted , 3 users are following.

My name is Brianna I am a 23 year old female. I have been having multiple symptoms for about 8 years now it started as just severe migraines and then more and more symptoms started to present themselves over the years. Back in the beginning I went to a neurologist and had an MRI done and was diagnosed with migraines. Over the years as debilitating as they are I have just learned to live with them and stopped going to the neurologist. Earlier this year on top of my migraines which occur at least 6 out of 7 days of the week which no medicine helps I also started to get these sharp shooting headaches which became extremely worse when bending over or after sleep. I went back to a different neurologist and had another MRI done. This MRI presented low lying cerebral tonsils and flow voids at base of skull which apparently presented on the previous MRI as well. The neurologist blew this off and mentioned nothing of it and when I asked about it ignored my question, so I scheduled an appointment with a different doctor to get a second opinion. Fast forward to last week my right eye went blurry and the entire right side of my body went numb I was rushed to the hospital and was hospitalized for 2 days so they could rule out stroke and TIA, which they did as it did not show on an MRI or CT. My right side is no longer numb but is now weak and this happened a week ago. I was discharged and told to go to neurologist to determine a possible chronic issue. Went to second doctor following this incedent and he told he I need to get a sleep study done becuase he thinks its sleep aptnia and chronic Migraines. 

These are the other symptoms I am experiencing as well and have been for a few years along with the debilitating headaches.

Severe headaches which get worse when bending over or waking up from sleep (I have every day)

Migraines (6-7 days a week)

Scoliosis

Trouble swallowing, I choke on food on a daily bases

Lower back pain

Neck pain which radiates

Dizziness and double vision

Abdomen pain (comes and goes)

Tingling in hands and feet

Depression

Nothing having energy to do anything and I am constantly tired no matter how much sleep I get

Trouble concentering (this is very bad)

Coordination problems, I constantly run into things and falling

Memory problems (this has gotten progressively worse the last 2 months I have been forgetting more then I remember)

Confusion, I mean to say or do one thing and do something completely different

Eye pain

Tinnitus which comes and goes

Here are my MRI images can anyone tell me if they think this is Chiari? MRI report stated low lying cerebral tonsils with flow voids at base of skull but did not state measurement? Please help at this point I feel crazy but I know somehting more then chronis migraines i s worng with me and my husband agrees.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Get another opinion. Can't tell if the tonsils are past the foramen magnum, but you can have Chiari 0. Many doctors are not familiar with Chairi and you really have to pester them. You might need a Cine MRI to see if CSF flow is blocked. 

• Posted

I would go to a chiari specaist if its not chiari it sounds like cfs fluid problems or something in that catagory CHIARI CENTERS are in different parts of the us.I think NY.is the best.I am going to the one in WI.
  • Posted

I would go to a chiari specaist if its not chiari it sounds like cfs fluid problems or something in that catagory CHIARI CENTERS are in different parts of the us.I think NY.is the best.I am going to the one in WI.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.