Back and stomach pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

I went to the doctors last week with severe back pain and she gave me diazepam, naproxen and co codamol. They worked for a couple of days but yesterday and today the pain has come back and now i have really bad stomach cramps in the top of my stomach. I am in so much pain i dont know what to do.

Can someone please advise me on what to do.

Thank you

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Suzan

Firstly sorry to hear your in pain.

Can I ask where you are in the world as treatment differs.

Have you had problems with your back before?? If so how long and which area, ?? Or is this all new and only happened recently.

What dosages of the pain releife are you taking ?? And how long have you taken naproxen ??

Regards

George (uk)

• Posted

Hello Suzan26,

Have you ever had back pain before?

As far as the co-codamol, which would be like taking tylenol with codeine her in the U.S. what strength did she give you?

Also, diazepam is probably being used as a muscle relaxer. You are lucky to get that one.

I am sorry it is not helping. Allthough your doctor is trying to help you, as your pain continues, your body is telling you that something is still wrong. She probably thought you strained your back and your symptoms would go away, but they are getting worse.

Do you have anyone to take you to emergency care? They need to take a look at you. I don't know what country you live in but here they give either morphine or dilaudid intervenously - a stronger painkiller for stomach pain. Then they take a urine sample, blood samples, and then send you for a CT Scan with a contrast dye so they can see if something is wrong with one of your organs. It could also be that you have a severe bladder infection.

I suggest instead of trying to diagnose yourself, don't be afraid and go seek emergency medical attention. I once had a grapfruit size cyst rupture on my ovary and it almost killed me. I was lucky though. They were able to get me into surgery before sepsis set in. 

I have also had both of those symptoms with a bladder infection and it came on suddenly. After two days I couldn't wait any longer and went to the emergency room.

A bladder infection can make your back and stomach hurt severely. 

I wouldn't bother calling your doctor back right now. Just go and take care of yoruself.  

You could be passing a Kidney stone. You could have a number of things wrong. 

Here is when it says it is an Emergency:

While not common, certain back pain symptoms are a sign of a medical emergency that may become life threatening or result in disability without prompt attention from an experienced physician.

Patients who experience any of the following symptoms should seek medical attention as quickly as possible:

Progressive leg weakness and/or loss of bowel or bladder control

Unexplained weight loss accompanied by pain and neurological impairment

Acute, severe stomach pain along with low back pain such that the patient cannot stand straight

Fever with increased pain which does not respond to common fever reducers

Each of the above set of symptoms is described in more detail below:

Progressive Leg Weakness, Loss of Bladder or Bowel 

Good luck. If a family member can't take you can you call a friend? I know the hospital is scary but it sounds like you need urgent treatment. 

• Posted

I have to say that I agree with Debra on this. My first thought was appendix but it could also be gall bladder or so many other things. Hopefully by now you've got yourself to the hospital and are finding out what's wrong. I hope everything works out OK.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.